1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amp/speaker hiss

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sparkymarky, Jul 11, 2004.

1. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've got a problem and i think i prob know the answer but anyway.

My centre speaker has developed a hiss. When any sound is decoded to it (from dvd player) it hisses. Between scene changes it disappears (like at the beginning of a dvd when you can 'hear' sound dropout as none is being sent or decoded during the advert changes).

Initial though was speaker knackered. However i plugges the rear speaker into the binding post for the centre and that too started to hiss.
    change everything back and the rear stops hissing and the centre starts again.

That obviously points to whatever is coming out of the binding posts is at fault. Anyone know what the problem is with this channel???
    i.e what causes a hiss (there is still speech and sound present but a hiss is also present).

Is there some sort of component in each channel in the amp that shields interference? maybe this is knackered??

2. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are presumably using digital input to the amp. In which case the hiss is either recorded on the disk, or being generated and possibly amplified by the amp. If you are using multiple analogue connections then you can do a cable swap to see if it's the amp or the source. You can see if it's being amplified by adjusting the volume and seeing if the hiss volume changes.

Don't forget to try more than one disk, maybe the problem is with the disk, not your kit.

If it's the amp, it may be fixable under warranty. Otherwise try for a dry solder joint or faulty component. If it were me, I'd probably go over every solder joint in the relevant area re-melting the joints. If it wasn't fixed by that, I'd sell it on ebay (with declaration of the problem - broken things sell quite well on ebay).

3. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    sorted it. Took off cover found a length of hair or metal lying accross components. blew it away put lid on not really expecting that to fix it and hey presto, FIXED! no more hiss.

Result.