1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amp/speaker driving Q

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dave20, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting closer and closer to parting with my cash on a nice processor and amp combo but a couple of things i wanna ask before i do..

the amp i wanna buy is rated at 200 watts rms x 5 8ohm and 300x5 @4 ohm. i am worried that my speakers are not gonna handle it. my fronts handle 300watts rms but my centre and rears are only rated 120-150rms.

do you guys think that i should upgrade the rears and centre before i get the new amp.

(sorry for the nieve Q)

thanks

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you shouldnt have a problem unless you drive them stupidly loud, in which case almost any speaker is going to suffer.

ad

3. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not generally..
    movies i usually listen to @ 1/3rd volume and same for music.. unless its party time then its ½ volume on my yammy A2

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no you are grand..... the ratings are, as they say in pirates of the carribean, 'more like guidelines'. It is going to be far more common to damage speakers with too little power than too much.

ad

5. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ya thats what ive always been led to believe.. which is one main reason i was going for the upgrade .. thanks for comfirming for me :) (parties = 1 ever anyways ;) )