• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amp/Speaker connectors

atc2

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm not an expert so any advice is really appreciated. I have attached some pictures to help explain. Thanks in advance.

I had an Alpha 7 amp which had female speaker connectors on the back (see pic "Alpha7Amp").

My speaker cables have male connectors. (SpeakerCables)

I just brought a Alpha8r amp and the connections for the speakers are different (NewAlpha8r).

I'm not sure if I will need to get the speakers re-wired or if there is another way of connecting the speakers to the new amp.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Alpha7Amp.jpg
    Alpha7Amp.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 377
  • SpeakerCables.jpg
    SpeakerCables.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 117
  • NewAlpha8rAmp.jpg
    NewAlpha8rAmp.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 560

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
Is there any way to remove the central pins on the binding posts on the new amp? Cause then the speaker cables should fit straight in.
If you can't then the only alternative I can think of is to cut of the banana plugs on the speaker cable and connect them bare wire.
Unless someone knows another way?

sounddog

Modern Arcam amps (like Linn and Cyrus) have what are known as BFA or Camcon connectors rather than 4mm banana connectors. They were introduced when it looked like the EU were going to ban the use of banana connectors which can (theoretically) have European mains cables connected.

A good dealer who works with these brands should be able to reterminate your cables, or you can cut off the existing connectors and a quick search on Google should find you a supplier of the correct connections - I found some at Stoneaudio.co.uk at around £15 for the required 4 connectors. The final option is you may be able to get BFA to banana convertors.

Edit: I was incorrect - the BFA sockets will (at least according to A32 / P35 manual) accept bare wire or spades as alternative to the BFA connector.

More details on the connector can be found here -- The BFA - Connectors

Eloise

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom