Amp + Speaker combo

DanMc07

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought the Sony S360 last week and now I'm looking into buying an AV + speaker setup.

I've been looking at the following AV models:
Sony STRH800
http://www.richersounds.com/product/.../sony-strdh800

Denon 1610
http://www.richersounds.com/product/...no-avr1610-blk
(Although I probably wont buy this amp from these guys as they don't sell it on their website. I just need to find a UK online store that will)

Now I'm in need of some good speakers (preff with a sub). My budget is around 100-150. I'm not fust If it's not 5.1 yet as I can add to them later.
Would you guys be able to reccomend me some? Also is it true that speakers dont come with the wire? and you have to buy it separately? (lol). If so, what wire would I need?

Also, I'm leaning towards the Denon as I hear it has upconversion - which I thought was an option that upscales all of your inputs (bluray player/standard deff virgin media/PS3) and then with one wire output them to your TV at 1080 (or am I way off the mark here and it's not that at all??)

Also, would you say the 2 AV I've listed are the best in that price range?

Thanks .

P.S - Sorry for been a noob. I'm new to this stuff.

PPS - Beside HDMI cables and speaker wire, is there any other wire I may need? Also, am I rite in thinking that I would need 1 optical cable from the TV to the amp seen as I'll have to use a scard for the VM box? And how much would the optical cable cost? (is it like HDMI where I can see the same performance from a £2 cable and a £60).

Last edited:
Hello,

I bought the Sony S360 last week and now I'm looking into buying an AV + speaker setup.

I've been looking at the following AV models:
Sony STRH800
http://www.richersounds.com/product/.../sony-strdh800

Denon 1610
http://www.richersounds.com/product/...no-avr1610-blk
(Although I probably wont buy this amp from these guys as they don't sell it on their website. I just need to find a UK online store that will)

Denon don't officially sell online but try phoning a dealer/online retailer.

Now I'm in need of some good speakers (preff with a sub). My budget is around 100-150. I'm not fust If it's not 5.1 yet as I can add to them later.
Would you guys be able to reccomend me some? Also is it true that speakers dont come with the wire? and you have to buy it separately? (lol). If so, what wire would I need?

To be brutally honest, you will not find decent 5.1 speakers for £100-150. If you're going to buy separately and build the system up, I would forget a sub too. Separate subwoofers cost around £150-200 minimum for one that is actually worth bothering with (a lot of cheap subs are totally useless)

Also, I'm leaning towards the Denon as I hear it has upconversion - which I thought was an option that upscales all of your inputs (bluray player/standard deff virgin media/PS3) and then with one wire output them to your TV at 1080 (or am I way off the mark here and it's not that at all??)

Also, would you say the 2 AV I've listed are the best in that price range?

I think you're confusing upscaling with upconversion. Upconversion simply converts the signal from one format to another, which on most modern receivers is analogue (composite, s-video and component video) to HDMI. Most budget receivers with scaling chips do not upscale HDMI sources. In the end, all your HDMI sources have scaling chips and so does your TV. You might find the source or display does a better job. I think the cheapest upscaling receivers are the likes of Sony 2400ES, Onkyo 607, Yamaha RX-V565 and Denon 1910 (the main ones).

If that is your total budget and you're after 5.1, I would be inclinded to go with a cheaper amp and up the spending on the speakers a little to something like the Jamos or Tannoy SFX. The Sony you linked to and the Yamaha RX-V465 are about the cheapest with HD audio decoding now.

Thanks .

PPS - Beside HDMI cables and speaker wire, is there any other wire I may need? Also, am I rite in thinking that I would need 1 optical cable from the TV to the amp seen as I'll have to use a scard for the VM box? And how much would the optical cable cost? (is it like HDMI where I can see the same performance from a £2 cable and a £60).

You will need a subwoofer cable. MarkGrant, QED, Fisual Profigold all make reasonably priced sub cables. If you want pseudo surround from Freeview (TV) then connect an audio cable from the TV to the amp. If you need an optical cable have a look at the Fisual Pro at £5. I also saw some cheap optical cables on play.com that are probably worth a punt. Don't spent loads. As long as the fit is good, optical cables work, period.

Thanks for the speedy reply mate :).

I've decided to use your advice and spend that little bit extra.

I'm thinking of going witht he Tannoy or the Jamo surround like you suggested. :).

I'm going to pop into leeds tomorrow and see if RS has the Denon amp + either of the surrounds in stock.

Just incase they don't have the Denon in stock. Would the Sony STRDN1000 or the Onkyo 577 be a good choice (the Denon is still my primary chouice mind you).

Thanks for your help so far :clap:

The Onkyo 577 is just the 507 with 7.1. It has no upconversion. Richer Sounds seem to be pushing Onkyo at the minute and I've heard of them offering the 607 for £300 or so, so I would be looking at that model over the 577 which is an entry level model with HD audio decoding and offers only 2 additional rear channels over the 507. I'm pretty sure the Sony has upscaling and upconversion but check the specs. This model doesn't seem to get talked about much and to be honest, I would imagine you could find the better spec'd/built/sounding 2400ES for around the same money.

Last edited:
Thanks for the speedy reply mate :).

I've decided to use your advice and spend that little bit extra.

I'm thinking of going witht he Tannoy or the Jamo surround like you suggested. :).

I'm going to pop into leeds tomorrow and see if RS has the Denon amp + either of the surrounds in stock.

Just incase they don't have the Denon in stock. Would the Sony STRDN1000 or the Onkyo 577 be a good choice (the Denon is still my primary chouice mind you).

Thanks for your help so far :clap:

The STRDN1000 would be the better in comparison to the TXSR577, for the reasons mentioned by davepuma. The STRDN1000 does offer upconversion as well as scaling to 1080l, but the STRDA2400ES is a better equipped AV amp and better value for money in comparison to the STRDN1000:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1081578-strda2400es-vs-str-dn1000.html

For the same price as the Onkyo TXSR577, there's also either the Denon AVR1610 or the Yamaha RXV565. Both of these would be better than the Onkyo TXSR577.

For roughly the same money as the Sony STRDN1000 there's also the Yamaha RXV765. The RXV765 would be my choice if looking at AV amps in the mid £300 price range.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom