1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp sound leakage - help needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by balders, Apr 23, 2004.

1. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Is it normal for sound to 'leak' from an amp's phono input?

After having watched a DVD with thw volume up quite loud the other day, I was sitting down by the TV, and noticed that although the DVD player was switched off, and the amp input was still on DVD, I was still getting some sound coming out of the speakers.

It was very quiet, even with the volume turned up high, but after some investigation, I found that the sound was actually the audio output from my SKY Digibox. This is connected to the amp via 2x phono cable. If I disconnected the phonos from the back of the amp, the noise disappeared.

I also tried connecting the phonos to a different input, and got the same sound; and also tried rerouting the phone cable with no improvement.

I do always get a very very low (ie barely audible) background hum from the speakers when the amp is one, but was quite suprised that the phonos could leak sound in this way.

Is this fairly common, or should I be worried? Do other 1804 owners experience the same?

Thanks,

Balders.

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The proper term's probably 'cross-talk', not leakage. Can anyone offer any advice (ie should I return the amp)?

Balders.

3. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you intend to spend time sitting next to the Tv/speakers with the amp on, its volume turned up quite high and the dvd player switched off then you may have a problem. If not, I think there are far better things to think about.

I suspect that such cross-talk is quite common amongst ordinary amps and perhaps even some higher end ones. The only time it will be a problem is if it interrupts your normal listening to the equipment, used in a normal way.

4. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks, Rolo :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I must admit, it isn't my chosen listening position.

Balders.