1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp setup problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by frankyknuckles, Jul 30, 2003.

1. frankyknuckles

frankyknuckles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, I'm a newbe so be gentle.....

I've setup my BOSE Accoutismass 15 speakers and have them connected to a SONY STRDB940 Amp, but I have a problem with the level control.

During the evening we usually have the volume quite low (baby asleep in room upstairs) and the signal to the Sub is not strong enough during quiet programs to power the sub, so, all I get is sound through the satellite speakers with no bass, it sounds ****e !

I have followed the instructions which came with the speakers by setting the crossover to the lowest setting and setting all speakers to be large, I have also set the sub cross over to 100Mhz (or whatever).

My point is that my amp is 2 years old now and was one of the first sony AV amps, I don't think it has the level of sound adjustment that is required these days, it has an analogue volume control for a start, this is very rough, a slight movement resulting in a very large volume increase.

I had the Bose speakers demo'd to me in a shop that was using an amp (can't remember which one) that had digital volume control, so, it got me wondering if I need a new amp for a better degree of level control.

What I would like to do is drive the speakers quite hard (ie, make the amp work at the correct power stage, by having the volume control turned up quite high) but have the ability to control the actual speaker volumes individually. (a bit like having a valve amp for a guitar where you drive the amp by setting the gain to 11 but controlling the volume with the master volume).

So what are reasonably priced AV amps that would offer better control than the SONY? (for about £400), or how should I setup my existing amp differently?

Thanks

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    Are you sure you can't adjust the individual channel levels independantly for the Sub channel etc?? Either via the front panel or the remote control.

3. frankyknuckles

frankyknuckles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah, I think you can adjust the sub level (can't quite remember) you can certainly adjust the front, center and rear channels.

What I thought I might try is to turn the main vilume up quite high on the amp and then adjust the sperate channels to reduce the overall volume (I think you can go to -9db on each chanell) and also reduce the setting on the subs bass/room balance to prevent too much bass.

I just don't know if -9db is enough to compansate for the increase in overall volume?

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    If you are going to be watching at low volume levels like you say, you're better off just raising the sub level a couple of db so you can hear it without waking the baby up. Another option would be to use Dynamic Range Control or Midnight Mode if your amp has one of these options. Basically this limits the Dynamic Range between loud and quiet moments on a soundtrack and makes it easier to hear surround effects, dialogue and the low bass. I would exhaust all options before changing the amp for another.

5. frankyknuckles

frankyknuckles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Ihave DRC set to wide, again on instruction from the Bose manual, should I set it to narrow then?

sorry, silly question....
    so if I raise the sub db a few notches, does this mean that the sub will be driven better and for fine tuneing the bass level I can turn down the bass volume on the actual sub?

6. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    If you are listening at low volume levels, then yes, set it to Narrow. Try this first and you may not need to touch the sub. If it's still not to your liking then set the volume level on the sub to a fixed point and control it via the amp for fine tuning. In an ideal world you would balance all your speakers with a Sound Level Meter, if you don't have one then you have to use your ears. The amp should have a Test Tone which sends pink noise to each speaker in turn. Set this in motion and adjust all the speaker levels so that they sound the same volume. Hopefully this will give you a more balanced/accurate sound. :)

7. frankyknuckles

frankyknuckles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks mate, really appreciate your help....

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Your biggest problem is you have not acclimatised the baby properly, We have never turned music down while the kids have been sleeping, you need to get them asleep in the front room with music turned up, they get accustomed to it but you need to start them young. I have a four year old and an 8 month old, no problems and I never turn the music or Movies down, I might just be lucky.

9. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Jase, you mentioned getting the speaker levels the same so they all sound the same, does that include the sub?

I have the same Amp and to my ears, the speakers sound the same during the test tone, but the sub sounds much lower than the speakers(obviously), but it just doesn't sound like it's on the same level.

I am going to get a SPL Meter, but I read getting a sub to read on one of those is difficult?

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Frank
    Dont know if i read your post wrong but you said you had set the bose speakers to large(should be small) this will cut down on the sub signal even more also dont think the bose cubes can except full range signal, crossover would best be set to its highest so more signal is getting to the sub which means its less likely to go to sleep.The bose cubes on there own are like you said just like having tweeters without the bass driver working.
    If iam wrong please except my apology.:blush:
    Cheers Gonzo.:)