1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp Remote Replavement or Universal?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by spdp5tc, Dec 23, 2003.

1. spdp5tc

spdp5tc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My crappy Marantz SR5200 Amp Remote Control has finally given up the ghost (although its never worked brilliantly since I bought the amp).

Now I have tried looking for a replacement without any joy. I have briefly looked in this forum for advice but I am still unsure aboutt what to do. I quite like the idea of going for a univeral remote but don't like the idea of paying £100 or more. Also, if I did go for one of these how would I program it if the original doesn't work. I am a complete newbie to this particular forum and din't know it existed until I had to start thinking about getting a new remote.

Basically, I want to get my Marantz Amp up and running using a remote at the cheapest possible cost but reading this forum you have now got me all thinking about these universal programmable remotes. Although, I am not really prepared (or the missus would not let me) to pay more than £50.

Please be paitient with me as I am a complete newbie to this particular forum. Your advice and thoughts are very much needed.

Thanks.

By the way, if it helps, my other equipment is Sony TV, Pioneer DVD, Sky+.

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SPD, this is a tricky one. I reckon you need to get a remote control that has the preset codes for your device. Its quite possible that the Marantz amp uses some pretty standard RC codes.

I would look for your model number on remotecentral.com or look at the One For All web site it may detail if it is covered by their remotes. OFA remotes can be bought for under £100.

Rog

3. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The One-4-All remotes are great. I have a 6-way that does all my stuff. It has most common devices pre-programmed, but can also learn. If you try to learn too many functions you can run out of memory. New codes can be downloaded from their web site or even over the phone.

If you want to get really clever you can get a cable to plug it into a PC for further programming. I built a cable and it works fine. Still haven't figured out all the options.

More expensive remote have fancy displays, but buttons are easier to use. Plus the battery lasts for years.

For £25 or whatever they cost not you can't go far wrong.