1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp related - can anyone recommend a good FM aerial?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sun, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello,

Every amp I have ever bought comes with a pee poor strip of wire that is apparently an aerial. I've struggled on with them, poor reception, and lots of blutack for long enough and it's time I got a decent one. I'm only talking about an indoor one, certainly less than £20, can anyone recommend one?

Cheers
    Sun

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Have a look in argos for the tv aerials. They all work or split the one that you use for the tv.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    For FM I think that the t-shaped ones are supposed to be very good. :)

4. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    That sounds like a really good idea as the amp is right next to the socket. I assume it's the kind of thing maplin would sell, do I need anything specific or should I just ask for a (presumably) coax splitter?

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    A splitter only works if you have a fm aerial at the other end ,you also need a splitter at the aerial end.
    You could try connecting to the outer connection on the tv socket to the aerial lead ,this would use the outside braid of the coax cable as an aerial.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yes maplins will sell it. All you will need is a socket doubler and an aerial extension cable.

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You need one of these CLICK ME but as i said you need one at the tv aerial end as well(outside type) and a fm aerial ,a splitter will just split the tv(uhf) signal ,you need a (vhf) fm aerial for the radio, you may get a signal just using a splitter and find its good enough for you.
    The aerial eviljohn mentioned is your best bet ,you just wont be able to hide it,CLICK ME.

8. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    thanks for all the input guys but I'm a bit more confused now. Bob1 are you saying that I need to have that £5 "TV/FM Plug-in Diplexer" fitted outside of my house on the cable that runs down from the aerial on the roof and into my front room? Why can't I just attach it to my tv aerial cable indoors where it enters my house and then fit 2 cables off from it, 1 to my amp and 1 to my TV?

Also can you explain why the flat aerial suggested would perform better than something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33220&&source=14&doy=30m8 ?

Obviously I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible and was of the thinking that £10 - £20 or so might be sufficent, if I'm completely wrong on this please let me know.

Cheers

9. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hello Sun, the correct way of doing things is to have a tv aerial and fm aerial connected to an outside Diplexer this combines signals together into a single coax lead.At the other end (in the house ) you will need another Diplexer to separate the two signals.This method will cost you more money but is almost the best method.
    As far as the flat wire aerial being better than the one you picked out would just be down to the size of the thing, a standard half wave dipole is a basic aerial but always works well ,the size must match the frequency its being used at for best results, a fm radio aerial would be around 468mm in length and a uhf tv aerial would be around 78mm in length based on 100mhz and 600mhz.The aerial in maplins is a full wave folded dipole this is 300hms and needs to a 4:1 balun ,this gets it down to 75ohms ,this should be better than a standard dipole as its bigger electrically.
    I hope that has cleared things up for you. :)
    I'm sure the one picked out will work fine for you,just one word of warning, signal booster aerials also boost interference :( .Try it and see is your best option ,but make sure you can take it back first if it doesn't work.