1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by carefactornil, Jun 19, 2005.

1. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm happy to admit that Amps are the one bit of HC kit I know very little about. Bearing that in mind, maybe my first question should be is there a good webpage or site that someone can recommend that explains the basic features of amps these days in layman terms?

Main Q: I'm looking at getting a completely new HC setup. Got a relatively good idea about the rest of the components and wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations of what to go for, i.e. what fits in with that.
    Will have a DVD HDD recorder (Probably something like Pioneer DVR-720H-S) which I'll record Digital TV onto, play DVDs through and view digital photos off, a "jukebox" (either the Yamaha CDR-HD1500 or the Cambridge Audio Azur 640H), a Pioneer plasma (probably the 505XDE), a 5-speaker package (probably the Mission M-cubes). My Digital TV is currently Homechoice (London only) which has it's own set top box, although no doubt I'll be switching to Sky (or whoever's) HDTV once it's settled in. Possibly have a games console in a year or so, and maybe my old video recorder at least initially. And my laptop possibly too (although if that's just image rather than audio should it just plug straight into the Plasma's tuner box?).

No fixed budget but I was thinking of up to £500 or is that unrealistic?
    Only other point is I'm in a flat. A big and well-insulated flat but I still have neighbours so I won't be able to crank the sound up as much as I might like or have huge amounts of bass.

Any thoughts appreciated. :smashin: