1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp recommendations for B&W speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Klop, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Klop

Klop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently have a Sony STR-DB870 surround amplifier but think something is missing both when listening to music and watching movies... Therefore I think it is time for an upgrade - but I'm not sure what I what and what to demo...

My setup:
    B&W CDM 7NT front speakers
    B&W CDM CNT center speaker
    B&W DM600 S3 surround speakers
    Arcam DV88 Plus DVD player (also my CD player)

Should it be a receiver again or should it be an amp and a surround processor this time...

Do you have any recommendations? And also is there a lot of difference in the way the amp's sound (warmth or sharpness/cold) when paired with B&W's?

My budget is around 2K £.

\Klop

2. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Well, you might just be able to pick up a 2nd hang TAG AV32R processor and perhaps a Rotel 985 power amp within your budget. That would sound very good indeed.

I have an AV32R and a Rotel 1095 power amp paired with B&W speakers and it sounds lovely.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    You could, but you'd need better speakers than CDM NTs to do them justice, IMO. Unless you're planning on a big speaker upgrade in the next couple of years I wouldn't bother going any higher than something like a Denon A11SR. Something higher grade will certainly sound better, but (IMO) not enough better to justify the price differential.

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The NTs are great speakers IMO (which obviously differs from Nic's :D ) and would form part of a great sounding system.

The TAG/Rotel combination would prove better value in the long run than an integrated, as next time you wanted to upgrade, you would only have to perhaps do the speakers or the power amplification, and not the whole lot.

If I had suggested getting better speakers then Nic would probably said that the Rotel wouldn't have been able to drive them :rolleyes:

Actually, another suggestion would be to just get a power amp and continue to use the Sony as the processor. You could see if that would improve things (which it probably would) and save yourself a heap of money :smoke:

5. Klop

Klop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah that could be a possibility for sure...

Does anyone know the Danish Thule products?
    http://www.thule-audio.com

If have heard a lot of good things about the their new SPHERE AV100... Does anyone know it?

6. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I'm afraid I don't know any specifics, but I do know they have a good reputation.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Quit putting words in my mouth. :mad:

I think the Rotel would drive Nautilus 805s quite comfortably, though even they would be a little bit low-spec for that sort of system.

As I've said before, it's a good idea to balance your system components in terms of quality level. If you use an incredibly good processor and amp with so-so speakers then it will sound better than a so-so processor and amp would sound with the same speakers - but there will be other ways of spending the same amount of money that would result in more of an improvement to the actual sound quality.

8. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Apologies, I didn't mean to offend but I do feel that a £2k TAG/Rotel combi offers a better price/sound quality ratio than a £1.5k Denon integrated and the speaker system in place (which is far from so-so) would match it very well. The lower spec B&Ws are more suited to integrateds.

In addition Klop would have the option of upgrading the TAG at a later stage if he wanted to, something not really possible to any great degree with the Denon.

Anyway, it looks immaterial anyway if he goes for the Thule gear :)

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    You're now comparing the price of the Tag 2nd hand with the price of the Denon new - is that fair?

10. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Of course not but at least I managed to spend all of Klop's budget which was rather good of me :devil:

Probably best to leave the discussion here I guess...

11. Klop

Klop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about going all Rotel?

I' thinking:
    - Rotel RSP-1066 Surround Preamp/Processor
    - Rotel RMB-1075 Power Amplifier

Would that be a good combination? Only think the RSP-1066 lacks is DTS 24/96 - isn't that for Audio-CD and SACD?

12. teeman

teeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the RMB-1090 to drive the fronts and RSP-1055 to act as pre-pro and to drive the center and surrounds. I heard that the 1055 is pretty close to the 1066 sonically yet you have amps to drive surrounds.

I just got an 803 and am planning to use 600's as surrounds since I do not listen to SACDs.

Anybody with a better alternative?

13. teeman

teeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would anybody care to recommend wires and cales too?

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Second hand 805s.

15. Klop

Klop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think Rotal has a RSP-1055. Did you mean the RSX-1055 75 x 5, 7.1 surround receiver?

With this solution how does volume control work - on the RSX I have the center and rears and on the RMB I have the fronts or?

16. teeman

teeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes its RSX-1055 hahaha the receiver which has the same framwork as the 1066.