Amp recommendations for B&W 603 S3

2 very different amps, Marantz adds musicalty useful if you have very linear speakers that edge toward warm and dull. That just isn't the case with B&W, these are musical speakers were imo your looking for a neutral amp that allows that musicality yet also grips them and keeps them under controll. Ok Rotel isn't the only but it's the main stream goto for this.
So between Marantz or Rotel my advise for these speakers is every time Rotel.
What HiFi is the only review that comes down 'against' the Rotel many others are at the other spectrum describing a dynamic well construed amp. The RA 1572 is no budget amp with second rate composants it's an amp that lead/leads their midrange amps one they continued with a MII. It also has an interesting combination of analogue and digital options.
So for me the horse for the course is the Rotel.

2 very different amps, Marantz adds musicalty useful if you have very linear speakers that edge toward warm and dull. That just isn't the case with B&W, these are musical speakers were imo your looking for a neutral amp that allows that musicality yet also grips them and keeps them under controll. Ok Rotel isn't the only but it's the main stream goto for this.
So between Marantz or Rotel my advise for these speakers is every time Rotel.
What HiFi is the only review that comes down 'against' the Rotel many others are at the other spectrum describing a dynamic well construed amp. The RA 1572 is no budget amp with second rate composants it's an amp that lead/leads their midrange amps one they continued with a MII. It also has an interesting combination of analogue and digital options.
So for me the horse for the course is the Rotel.
Really love all these responses like yours. EXTREMELY helpful and it provides a lot of valid food for thought. Thank you very much.

Rotel sounds like a good way to go with B&W, a fairly neutral amp with a very musical speaker is always a good way to go.
Power wise the RA 1572 woild be more than enough B&W recommend 30 to 200W so the RA 1572's 120W per channel is more than adequate.
I think your 'intuition' is spot on!
How would Rotel A11 Tribute drive B&W 603 S3 speakers regarding that it has just 50 W per channel?

How would Rotel A11 Tribute drive B&W 603 S3 speakers regarding that it has just 50 W per channel?

The Rotel is a very good amp. Rotels always have a first class power supply.

That means plenty of current which is more important than whatever the quoted power output might be.

The A11 will have plenty of headroom for your music through the 603s

My feeling is that those B&Ws are 4Ohm speakers, they actually drop to below 4Ohms (even 3Ohms) and so feel Rotel wise perhaps the A14 is a safer bet. This particularly if at low to moderate volumes. In the UK Rotels new are expensive so look for promos and used.

Just seen @Paul7777x reply and agree with him on the power supply of Rotels even so the A11 is quite limited power wise.

My feeling is that those B&Ws are 4Ohm speakers, they actually drop to below 4Ohms (even 3Ohms) and so feel Rotel wise perhaps the A14 is a safer bet. This particularly if at low to moderate volumes. In the UK Rotels new are expensive so look for promos and used.

Just seen @Paul7777x reply and agree with him on the power supply of Rotels even so the A11 is quite limited power wise.

Indeed. The 11 is the least I’d use, but I’d still be happy with it it I’m pretty sure. The 14 is appreciably better again, but I’d still buy 72 if it’s available. You’ll not likely need another amplifier.

Indeed. The 11 is the least I’d use, but I’d still be happy with it it I’m pretty sure. The 14 is appreciably better again, but I’d still buy 72 if it’s available. You’ll not likely need another amplifier.
The speakers are 8Ohm not 4. In this case Rotel A11 Tribute would be ok? This has 50 W per channel. I got A11 for pretty good price and I do not want to miss if this is good for my standfloor speakers.

In that price range new there's also the Rega Brio at the moment, well worth the look. Similar power.

The speakers are 8Ohm not 4
They really are not they drop to 3Ohms.
As Paul says the Rotel is a capable amp so is the Rega.
If you have an offer for either take it if that's your budget!
The rega is reduced at the moment so great value.

In that price range new there's also the Rega Brio at the moment, well worth the look. Similar
They really are not they drop to 3Ohms.
As Paul says the Rotel is a capable amp so is the Rega.
If you have an offer for either take it if that's your budget!
The rega is reduced at the moment so great value.
I will take a look at Rega.
Of course they drop below 4 ohm but not permanently. :)
Anyway I really like Tribute and that is why I want to be convinced that my B&W speakers will be well deserved by it. I use my speakers for listening music not for anything else and not too loud.

The speakers are 8Ohm not 4. In this case Rotel A11 Tribute would be ok? This has 50 W per channel. I got A11 for pretty good price and I do not want to miss if this is good for my standfloor speakers.

As @Flobs says, the 603s do drop to below 4 ohms so a good power supply in the amp is essential. Rotels do very well in that regard as do Rega.

The claim on the rear of speakers about what ohm rating they have is a fairy tale. Best ignored.

A good price A11 would be a good buy.

If you’re seriously considering genuine party volumes every day then I’d go for a pro power amp and a dac/preamp.

But if you’re after normal domestic volumes and only the occasional blast into heavy volume then the Rotel will be very good indeed, as will be the Rega. Both are serious amps for their price point. 👍

Aha. I see you answered the volume question.

In that case I’d say buy the A11 with confidence.

Ps, take a look at this HiFi News measurement panel.

You’ll be delightfully surprised.

It can virtually double its power output for dynamic necessities into 4 ohms (close to 200W peak).

That’s all you really need to know 👍

Last edited:
Ps, take a look at this HiFi News measurement panel.

You’ll be delightfully surprised.

That’s all you really need to know 👍
"It can virtually double its power output for dynamic necessities into 4 ohms (close to 200W peak)"

Strange that it couldn't even drive my Elac stand mounts properly then, I had an A11t for about 3 days, I pick up one for £350 on special offer from Sevenoaks, nice sounding amp but sounded weedy in the bass/mid bass so went back. Denon PMA1600ne was able to drive them properly, and I could actually hear(feel) the bass.

"It can virtually double its power output for dynamic necessities into 4 ohms (close to 200W peak)"

Strange that it couldn't even drive my Elac stand mounts properly then, I had an A11t for about 3 days, I pick up one for £350 on special offer from Sevenoaks, nice sounding amp but sounded weedy in the bass/mid bass so went back. Denon PMA1600ne was able to drive them properly, and I could actually hear(feel) the bass.
I'm surprised you haven't upgraded your speakers. ;)

At least I have to buy Rotel A14 otherwise there will be a lack of power and sound quality. That is many persons opinion.
They told me to find Roksan K1 or K2 for budget solution.

Last edited:
At least I have to buy Rotel A14 otherwise there will be a lack of power and sound quality. That is many persons opinion.
They told me to find Roksan K1 or K2 for budget solution.
The Roksan Kandy (original) would be a great option if you can find one on the used market.
New in the price range of the Rotel A11 there's not much imo it's that or the Rega Brio. Both are 50W that should be enough even if they are AB class.
Without increasing your budget the only other amp I can think of is the Yamaha A-S501, very good value and built like a tank.

The Roksan Kandy (original) would be a great option if you can find one on the used market.
New in the price range of the Rotel A11 there's not much imo it's that or the Rega Brio. Both are 50W that should be enough even if they are AB class.
Without increasing your budget the only other amp I can think of is the Yamaha A-S501, very good value and built like a tank.
May I go for Rotel A 14? I have tried to buy on ebay Roksan K1 or K2 but from UK majority do not want to send abroad.

Last edited:
May I go for Rotel A 14?
Sure nice amp however that's another price bracket that starts opening up a lot, new €1300.
Atoll IN100, the really nice Roksan Atessa ampli ...
The Cyrus One goes for under €900 being D class it will be great with speakers that drop under 4Ohms.
If you find any of these second hand, including the Rotel A 14 at a good price jump on it.

This is why it's important to set a price bracket and decide if that pushes you to the second hand market or not.
I tend to avoid 'entry' level amps, by that I mean the 1st in a manufacturers series which either means opening up the envelop or going secondhand/used. I don't by electronics used (except ex-demo) so for me it's opening up the envelop. Despite the risks of secondhand it's often the 'best' way above all if your not sure as you lose little when reselling.

Sure nice amp however that's another price bracket that starts opening up a lot, new €1300.
Atoll IN100, the really nice Roksan Atessa ampli ...
The Cyrus One goes for under €900 being D class it will be great with speakers that drop under 4Ohms.
If you find any of these second hand, including the Rotel A 14 at a good price jump on it.

This is why it's important to set a price bracket and decide if that pushes you to the second hand market or not.
I tend to avoid 'entry' level amps, by that I mean the 1st in a manufacturers series which either means opening up the envelop or going secondhand/used. I don't by electronics used (except ex-demo) so for me it's opening up the envelop. Despite the risks of secondhand it's often the 'best' way above all if your not sure as you lose little when reselling.
I found a new A14 for 950 euro.

I found a new A14 for 950 euro.
The MKI was €1000 if it's a MKII (€1300) it's great value if MKI then in ball park.
They are very similar just improved THD (total harmonic distortion) improved on the MKII, power wise they are 'the same'.
(prices I give are French (France) market).

I'm surprised you haven't upgraded your speakers. ;)
Why? I still like them. I am actually thinking of upgrading my amp first, to something like a Hegel or Roksan M2, Audiolab pre/power, when I feel the amp is right I will go for better speakers like the ProAcs, Neat's or Amphion's. There is a sound I want that I am not getting with the Denon and I dont think it's because of the speakers. The Denon is a fine sounding amp but it's not giving me the 3D spacious sound field or firmness in the bass I can get with my old amp. Unfortunately the old amp doesn't have the power, the refinement or the resolution of the Denon. It's just finding time to get some demo's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom