Amp recommendation for Xarus5000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DarkRaikonne, Jan 5, 2012.

1. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I was running before Yamaha AS-500 with Wharfedale 10.4 and everything was fine until I turned up the volume to about 80% at new year party. (I know I shouldn't be doing that but I'm novice). The amp was getting quite hot which is obviously not good for him but nevermind that.

One day I woke up and AS-500 broke down somehow so I phoned up Richer Sounds and got a full refund which is good because I was about to sell it anyway. At the moment I'm selling my Wharfedale 10.4 because I'm quite disappointed about the bass and treble especially when turned to about 50-60% max power.

I came across Wharfedale Xarus5000 read some good reviews about those especially about bass and treble that they can handle the "abuse" from the amp.

So I thing I will be going for those next week as I can get them for 149£. However I would like some advice on amp to get most out of those. I'm not audiophile the sound needs to be good not perfect with good bass for my parties and dance music I'm playing. Also I will be adding more speakers later so It must be able to handle at least 5.1 surround.
    My budget is around £400.

There as the ones I was looking at:

Yamaha RXV667
    Pioneer VSX-920-K

thanks for advice.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    The issue I see is that there is no matching centre for those speakers so getting them integrated into a 5.1 system could be difficult. If looking for a stereo system then they will be hard to beat for the money but I do not think they are a good purchase if looking to go to 5.1. A sub in a 5.1 system, if you get a good one, will provide more than enough bass for you and will infact be able to produce better quality bass that is both louder and deeper than the Xarus will realistically produce.
    Also bear in mind the receivers you mention are not going to be as good with stereo music as your old Yamaha amp was. As a general guide you need to spend 3 to 4 times the price of a stereo amp to get similar performance from an AV reciever.
    Although a bit more the Wharfdale diamond 9.1 and SW150 package for £250 from Superfi would be a better option as it should give you more than enough bass for now and be a good basis for a 5.1 system in the future as well. The benefit of a standmount/sub system is you can take some of the load off the speakers by letting the sub do the bass which should make the mids and trebles clearer and more defined i.e. better sound quality.

3. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you reply.

How about getting Xarus and sub as well?

Also I don't really need center speaker because I believe is more usefully with movies.

Possibly with my Xarus as fronts (with sub) and add rears as well a bit latter and that could also do the job.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    If not interested in movies why do you want rear speakers?

5. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have quite big room and I want to make most out of it.

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    A good set of stereo speakers and stereo amp will give much better sound quality and should fill most sized rooms in a home. Extra speakers playing stereo music is just going to confuse the soundstage and I do not see them adding anything. Also since you will then be geting an AV receiver you will also have lower quality amps so lower sound quality anyway. Why not get a stereo amp with the option of A and B speakers then you could always add an extra pair of speakers later if you really felt you needed them. This would have the benefit that you have a stereo amp so better sound quality for the money.

7. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the only reason I not looking into stereo because the Yamaha as-500 I had before was so easy to over heat that I had to keep volume at 50%.

thats the only reason to be honest

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Well an AV reciever is going to be no better at this, if anything it will be worse as there is more crammed into the space. So if you hope an AV receiver will run cooler I am sorry to say it will not. It is normally recommended to not run any amp (whether stereo or AV receiver) at full volume (or close to it) for extended periods. This is not only because of it overheating but also the sound quality will be adversely affected the harder you run the amp. If the Yamaha was running too hot then it would suggest you need a more powerful amp. Hence get a more powerful stereo amp and it should solve your issue. As a word of warning do not compare stereo power ratings to those of supposed per channel powers from AV receivers as AVRs tend to be a little over stated hence will not be as loud as a stereo amp that on paper would look less powerful.

9. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    more powerfull? I don't seems to be finding amp with more than 110 RMS per channel ...

Propably they cost fortunee... I have look now :)