1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp recommendation for Dynaudios?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sbonell, Jan 25, 2002.

1. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have bought some Dynaudios (72s front, 42s surround and centre). Now looking for an amp or processor/amp combo to drive these. At the moment I'm still using my old Kenwood Pro-logic which is patently out of its depth (lacks bass on music and is clearly running out of muscle when trying to go moderately loud).

Has anyone successfully partnered these with an amplification setup they can recommend? I've tried a 3802 which didn't sound that great on music to me (although I may try again to see if the speakers perhaps weren't run-in). So I'm thinking I may need to spend more/go more powerful.

Thanks
    Stuart

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience Dynaudio's Audience range mates very well with Rotel power amps. The bigger the better!

3. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice. Trying a Denon AVC11SR at the moment. Much better than the 3802 I tried before which I think was struggling with the Audiences. But I'd been thinking about Rotel so will give that a whirl also. Cheers.

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I have heard that Dynaudios like to have a lot of power/current on tap. They're relatively inefficient and drop down to quite a low impedence. As you've found out, a decent power amp (like the rotel) should cope better than just an integrated.

Cheers,
    Liam

5. burkey

burkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use two dynaudio audience 40s for my main front channels . I used to have a Yamaha RXV795RDS amp which had no problems in dealing with this type of speaker .
    Recently I upgraded to a denon 3802 and noticed a great improvement.
    I was told that despite the 40s being 4ohm they were easy to drive and would not present a problem . I have found this to be the case and am looking foreward to putting the 40s on the rear and getting some 42s for the front .

6. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently running a pair of 62s at the front and a 122C centre and it sounds good connected to my 3802.

What should you look for when trying to best match speakers to an amp? (Whats the impednace??)

Also what cable would you guys recommend to connect this??

Thanks

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    The definition of Impedance from http://www.audioreview.com/audio101/glossary/indexi.shtml is:
    "The resistance of a circuit, device or wire to the flow of alternating current. With loudspeakers this is measured in Ohms. Speakers with a low impedance are more difficult to power appropriately."

I would not recommend spending vast quantities of money on speaker cable (for any speakers). Some people say they can hear a difference - I can't. This has been debated for years, and I'm not going to get involved :eek:

A rough indication of how well an amplifier can drive a low impedance load is to look at its power rating at 8 ohm and 4 ohm. Ideally an amplifier that is rated at 100W into 8 ohms should be 200W into 4 ohms. This isn't the whole story, however, and there is no substitute for listening yourself.

From the impedance and sensitivity specs, my current speakers looked to be an easy load to drive, but an Arcam AV50 really stuggled to drive them and I needed to bi-amp with an Alpha 8P to get them sounding decent. Upgrading to an Alpha 10 also improved things :). So, don't just trust the numbers!

Cheers,
    Liam

8. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My BM15s and BM5s seem very happy with a Marantz 9000

Otherwise I have been told they like Denons.

9. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I have tried a pre/power Rotel combo (RSP-976 and RMB-1075).

This was a very noticeable step up from any of the integrated amp options I had tried before with my Dyns. I hope to pick up either this combo or possibly with the new RSP-1066 (depending on price!) which should be launching about now in the UK.

10. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have Dynaudio Contour 1.8's for the front speakers, Audience 122 for the centre and Audience 40's for the rears. They are relatively difficult to drive and need an amp capable of high current delivery. I tried Rotels, but have settled for Myryad amps (MA 240 and MA 360). Everything sounds superb.

Steve

:D

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My speakers are Sonus Faber, but my experience might help, I had Rotel 1080 for the fronts, and although they handled well the easier Concertos, they strugled, and distorted with the Amators...

I replaced it with the Bryston 4Bst and WOW... Conclusion, the Rotel is quite good, but not suitable to really difficult speakers...