1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp / Reciever for B&W 805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by imho, Jul 6, 2005.

1. imho

imho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted in the speakers section of the forum, here and I got alot of tips .. so I decided to get the B&W 805.

90% of the time, I listen to music, and the rest I watch a few movies with my buds. So I guess I'll go with a stereo solution with the option to "branch out" .. if I find out later that I want to get surround.

Now that I've decided on a pair of speakers .. what else would you guys recommend?

Receiver, amp, preamp, poweramp, stereoamp .. it's all pretty confusing ..

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've posted a reply in your original thread,but in short,you're going to need a decent,powerful and load tolerant amp.
    One of the best ways to search is to try as many as possible with your speakers,in your own home until you find something that works well.

If you have the budget to permit it,I'd strongly recommend a processor/power amp solution,and would suggest Rotel at the budget end,and it is also worth looking at used/ex-dem equipment to enable you to buy better for less outlay.

3. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would suggest the new combo from Arcam be given a listen (bit better than Rotel usually)...

Or a Parasound Amp with a nice used processor (Meridian, TAG)

If a receiver is the option then the MArantz 9600 would come to mind...

4. imho

imho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People I know keep telling me that I should get a good surround reciever, cause they think that I can't live without surround, and that I'll probably will "go surround".

"Get a really good surround reciever, it would be less of a hassle for you, as you don't have much hifi experience".

Someone mentioned the Harman/Kardon AVR7300, said it was really powerful, would work fine with the 805's.

I just want the "best" sound I can get .. with as few "boxes" as I can (the lady of the house don't like boxes .. )

:confused:

5. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2