Amp/receiver with very few inputs ?

T

triplebj

I only have one (1 !) input into my amp, namely SP/DIF from my PC. CD, DVD, MP3, Sky Box (via falcon and line in) etc. all comes out of this one cable into my cheapo Kenwood 5050.

I am considering a Denon 2802, but all those video and audio inputs/outputs would be completely wasted ! - not to mention all the button on the front would never be used ;-)

Is there a decent receiver with very few inputs ot should I get a separate power amp and a tuner, or just stick with the 2802 ?

Needless to say that it must be 5.1/6.1/PLII etc......

TIA,
BJ
XP1800 HTPC, A04 DVD-R, Falcon,.......
NEC VT540 projector
Rel Q100 and check Cresta speakers

That's the most unusual specification request that I have come across. Amp manufacturers are trying to put more inputs into their kit, not less.

The quality of amplification and facilities should be of prime importance and whilst you could no buy a Denon 2802 and connect it up in the same way as your current amp I am not sure that there is much point apart from saving on buying new interconnects.

The sound quality will be better from the Denon and it will be even better if you buy decent interconnects and connect each audio source seperately to the amp.

Originally posted by Ian J

The sound quality will be better from the Denon and it will be even better if you buy decent interconnects and connect each audio source seperately to the amp.

Maybe I wasn't clear: My HCPC is my CD player, DVD player, MP3 player and progressive scan processor for Sky (Falcon/DScaler).

It outputs VGA to my 17" LCD monitor and projector, so I don't have anything but the SP/DIF to input into the receiver - no audio or video.......

Makes sense ?

BJ

BJ,

Yes, but manufacturers don't make amps with decent amplification inside and then stick a single input on them; they wouldn't sell any (except to you...maybe).

Some manufacturers make 2/3-input lifestyle amp/speaker sets but they won't have the quality of a Denon 280x and upwards.

No inputs will be 'wasted' if you get a multi-input amp, they'll just not be in use. And you'll actually be able to sell it come upgrade time.

Mike.

you could just get a dolby digital sound card and use seperate power amps? - makes your pc the pre-amp.

a few people on avs have done this and seem quite happy with the results.

then youd have no inputs available!;)

rob

Originally posted by robwells
you could just get a dolby digital sound card and use seperate power amps? - makes your pc the pre-amp.

rob

The nVidia motherboard has Dolby 5.1 decoding built in - can I get a soundcard which will do 6.1 and then an amp with the 6 inputs ?

What kind of amp could I get for the 6-700 the 3802 costs ?

Or should I just get the 3802 and "waste" all the inputs ?

Thanks guys !

BJ

i`m really not an expert on the latest soundcards etc, but if you check out the avs forums they will know a lot more than me .

in my opinion a 6 channel power amp will be of better quality than an intergrated(price for price), but it will depend *heavily* on the soundcard for preamp quality

heres the site :http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

hth

rob

btw - your setup is similar to mine, but i use seperate cd player and turntable - you could use the inputs on the amp to video switch the source into falcon

eg:
video player/tv channels?
playstation
nintendo
laserdisc

etc
etc

rob

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back