1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp/receiver watts

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by roland, Dec 17, 2003.

1. roland

roland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re the Pioneer vsxc301.home cinema receiver.(Thank you all for answers re watts to speaker ohms).
    Most concerned about the power output of the above receiver.
    I have a Sony hifi (music amp) that is rated at 80 watt rms per channel, so I know what I have got,( I think)
    The above receiver they say (Pioneer that is) RMS Power(1kHz,10%thd, 8 Ohm/ch)75w.---- Stereo (din) 2x40w (8 Ohm,1% thd,1Khz)
    Surround Front 2x50w,Surround Centre50w, Rear Surround 2x50w.
    Further down the page AMP specification reads Rated power output 40w + 40W Din 1kHz,1,00 % 8 Ohm.
    Is this a 75w or a 50w,or a 40w receiver, or is it all three.
    PS sorry for the long question, Pls try to keep any answers simple.
    Thank you

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    In simple terms and in relation to everything else on the market the Pioneer 301 is 40 watts per channel. Some manuafacturers quote power ratings into 4ohms as it makes them sound more powerful than they really are. A 4 ohm load draws more current from the amp and as such power outputs seem higher. This should be perfectly adequate if you have a small room and fairly easy to drive speakers. We have one set up with the Tannoy FX 5.1 speaker package on the shop floor at Sevenoaks in Edinburgh and it sounds ok for a £450 amp and speaker combination.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Be aware also that the figures your quoting are taken at a spot frequency of 1kh rather than across a range of say 20hz-20khz.

4. derby_red

derby_red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crusty -

I am interested in this combination for films AND music. How, in your opinion, does it perform particularly in the latter case?

I'll only be playing CDs on my Tosh DVD player (a 210E), so I'm not in the audiophile category - recently I was listening to a friend's Sony HTK-250 setup and that didn't sound too shabby in that respect.

I hear talk of loss of mid-range on these forums, but the 250 seemed better than my current (shoddy!) hi-fi set up. Could I anticipate better results with the 301/5.1FX package? I'm keen to audition these at a local RS, but your opinion would be appreciated in advance.

Thanks.