1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMP/Receiver for KEF eggs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rochdale, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could anyone recommend an AMP or Receiver for use with the KEF KHT 2005 (egg) AV speaker set?

I've been looking at the Pioneer VSX909 and VSA-E08 because they have come down in price so much. I've also been looking at the Harman Kardon receivers but mostly because of the ezset thing, I've got dodgy hearing on one side and the ezset thing appeals to me :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't buy a HK just for the ezset as a DB meter is only £25 and probably more accurate.

Either ezset or a meter will set the levels correctly for each speaker but if you have poor hearing on one side it may be that you don't want them accurately set but want one side louder to compensate so you will have to set the levels by ear anyway.

The Pioneer 909 is a good amp

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The eggs don´t have much under 120 hz, so you should get a receiver with variable crossover, I tested it with two friends, much better sound...

The lowest price I know is the Denon 2802...

4. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Eggs set-up with a Denon 3802 and have been very impressed.

5. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok, could someone please explain variable crossover to a newb?

Are the Denon receivers the only ones that have this function?

6. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All this means is exactly what is says, you can vary the crossover frequency for the sub/sats.

If the sats only go down to 120 hz then the if the amp is set to 120 hz on the cut off, only 120hz and over goes to the sats and below this is sent to the sub. You can choose depending on make model, from 40, 60, 80, 100 and 120 hz.

THX uses 80hz as bass below this is supposed to be non directional ( you can not hear where it comes from)

I have set up the Eggs for a friend and just used small all round and the sub out to the sub. This sounded very good, on a £200 Kenwood DD amp.

Depends what you want and how much you want to spend.

When I started putting my system together, none of the speakers matched and then (5 yrs ago) it sounded great as i did not know (could not afford) any different.

At the end of the day trust you own ears, they will do the listening afterall, not someone elses !!!!!

Now i'm the very proud owner of a seven speaker two sub 4k watt + (rms) system that literally moves you.

Eat you heart out Odeon............

Nathan

7. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, so can most amps adjust the crossover or is it usually set to a default level?

Does anyone know if the two pioneer models I mentioned have varable crossover on them? Or do they have it set to 80hz because they are THX rated?

To be honest I doubt I will be able to tell the difference :)

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most receivers don´t adjust the crossover, that is changing, the eggs and other popular sat-sub systems might be the reason...

I am sure you will ear the difference, less thin sound, less bright, test with male vocals...