1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp/Receiver + 2 Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sicton, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right, I'm a bit new to the whole surround sound system market and buying into it but basically I'm wanting to start building a setup starting with just an amp/receiver with 2 front speakers.

I think I'll have around £400 - £500 to spend on these initial items so really I'm wanting the best I can get for that amount of money. I'll be using the speakers for a lot of things really - mostly playing games i.e. Xbox but also Music (all types really - rock, R'n'B, dance/trance, hip-hop), DVD playback, for general TV use, and also to connect to my PC.

So, I'm wanting to use it for a lot of things really and expand the system as I get the funds into a 5.1 surround system by purchasing a centre speaker, sub and rears at a later date.

I've been wanting a decent sound system for a long time so I think I'm really wanting to fork out on something which sounds incredible and will stand the test of time.

The room the speakers will be positioned in isn't too large but it's not going to be there forever I don't think.

Any help with what I should be buying and where to get it from would be greatly appreciated. I've looked on the likes of Richer Sounds and Empire Direct already but didn't really find anything that grabbed my attention.

Anyway, cheers for your help in advance.

2. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the links. All those pieces of kit look absolutely fantastic! Why do you recommend the Yamaha with the mission speakers and the pioneer with the wharfedale? Could they not be mix and matched or are those good combinations for whatever reason?

5. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A pioneer VSX-D814 receiver a good idea for £200-£250.I think its the best av amp for money.Its also easy to set up and you can add to it easily.Demo some pioneer S-H510 floorstanders.The £170-£180 and they drop to 30Hz so you may not need a sub, saving space as well.My room is 26"x24" and the above two do the job for me

6. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

How do you think you would rate the sound produced by a system put together with some of the kit mentioned?

I want it to be almost mindblowingly good you see, or do I need to spend more for that?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    it will be good but for high end stereo you are looking at £2k+ minimum