1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp prices

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ifti, Oct 13, 2003.

1. ifti

ifti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the October issue of What hifi they reviewed six receivers. The best 3 of those reviewed (according to what hifi) were; sony str-db790, yamaha rx-vx440rds and pioneer vxs-d812.

The yamaha doesn't have enough inputs for me. Having read the what hifi reveiw and comments on this forum the pioneer is my first choice. All these receivers were said to cost £300. However, the price of the sony and yamaha have dropped to as low as £220 at some e-tailers but the price of the pioneer is consistently above £310.

Anyone know why the pioneer is selling for such a high price relative to the other two? Did what hifi quote the wrong price?

I am hoping it's just a supply issue and that the price of the pioneer will fall down to sub £220.

Thanks.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    What Hi-Fi say in that Pioneer sent them the wrong prices and that £330 is more like the real price of the 812, But they say even at that price they would have awarded it the Best Buy.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    A few things at work here potentially

As Garrett points out the Pioneer is more expensive to begin with

Sony & Yamaha could have bigger dealer margins in their srp than pioneer. This can often be achieved by buying larger numbers of units.

Dealers may be able to get cheaper Sony & Yamaha from "non official" sources

Dealers may realise that the pioneer is the one that people will want so discount less.

Pioneer seem to be canny about supply and demand - I never saw a heavily discounted 811, so I wouldn't expect to see the 812 selling for under £300 for some time.

4. ifti

ifti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to audition both the sony and pioneer.

The sony is tempting because of it's price being 30% lower than the pioneer but I'll see how both compare in the sound department.

Thanks for the responses guys.