Amp Powering Off When Playing PS4

mrdogcat

Hello all,

I've had this issue since I bought my Marantz NR1510 amp where it switches off when playing my PS4.

It usually happens in the first few minutes of play where the screen can sometimes flicker or the TV displays a 'no signal' message. If I do nothing, the amp switches off, but I've found that pressing the middle PS button to take me back to the PS4 menu (and ultimately stopping me from being murdered in-game) the flickering stops and I can go back to playing without it happening again.

Although it's a lot less common (may have happened about 6 or seven times since July last year), it has also happened when watching TV via a BT YouView box. When this happens, there's no warning whatsoever, it just goes off.

Any ideas? Is this a fairly common problem with PS4s?

I should also maybe mention I have my amp and devices hooked up to a Philips Sync Box if you think this might be playing a part in things.

Thanks for your help,
Steve

On a side note, this also happened on my Marantz NR1603 when playing PSVR games. Here I would need to unplug and plug back in the headset and it would be back working and wouldn't happen again... Could this be a similar thing?

Jester1066

Sounds obvious. But have you checked that both AVRS don't have the Auto Power off (sleep) function activated. I'd also turn any ECO Mode settings in each of them.

mrdogcat

Well, I do have the auto power-off enabled but I have it set to take ages to actually initialise so can't think it could be that.
I've got all the ECO stuff switched off. :)

Jester1066

Well, I do have the auto power-off enabled but I have it set to take ages to actually initialise so can't think it could be that.
I've got all the ECO stuff switched off. :)
I'd temporarily disable the auto power-off completely to just make sure it definitely isn't the cause of your problem.

mrdogcat

Just checked yesterday and all the auto-power have all been disabled.

Coincidentally, it happened again last night while I was using my Raspberry Pi; no flickering (seems the flickering is only for PS4) just straight power off.

Adziadam

Bit of a long shot but do you have ARC enabled? My thought here is if the TV flickers it may trigger the amp to switch off as the display signal cuts off it may trigger the amp to shutdown as part of ARC / CEC functionality.

Adziadam

Yes I have ARC enabled. Are you suggesting to switch it off?
Ok, do you use ARC ? Like Netflix on the TV to pass audio back to the receiver just to get an idea and it might be helpful to know which TV you have.

If you do use it maybe running ARC through that Phillips sync box may cause issues, I'm not an expert but i think ARC and the screen going off can be the reason the receiver is switching off. Now I'm sure you can turn HDMI power control to off on the receiver and this will stop the receiver from switching on or off automatically when the tv turns on

mrdogcat

The TV model is an LG OLED48CX5LC

I'll see if the HDMI power control can be switched off and see how I go. It's funny, it never happens when playing anything through the Apple TV.

Adziadam

The TV model is an LG OLED48CX5LC

I'll see if the HDMI power control can be switched off and see how I go. It's funny, it never happens when playing anything through the Apple TV.
Will be worth a try, i have a Denon and its in the HDMI menu so it should be there for Marantz as well as they share the same UI pretty much.

mrdogcat

Hi guys here's what my amp menu looks like. So I think the power control is off so not sure what else to do at this point. Do you have anymore options I can try or see anything in the menu that I could try?

IMG-7632.jpg

PS. Sorry for digging up this old thread but it was never resolved because of me being lazy.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom