Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Amp position - possible?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Vectraone, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This question is an expansion from a previous thread but not wishing to hi- jack it, I thought I would start a new one.

I’m just about to buy a Denon 2802 amp and Mission speakers as a first foray into surround sound separates (at moment using the DD amp built into the TV).

I was planning on putting the amp under the TV on the bottom of the stand. As this is quite a tall amp (171mm) there is just enough room to pile my VCR, SAT and DVD directly on top, before hitting the 36inch Tosh.

After reading the previous thread, I’m now worried that either:-

1. the amp will interfere with the video signals to the TV given the size of the magnet that must be in the back of the amp; and/or

2. as there is no free space above the amp, the thing will overheat, cut out or blow up the wife.

I wonder how many people have situated the amp below the TV and have no problems with it?

This really makes a difference to whether I purchase an amp or not. I do not want to put it anywhere else other than under the TV, so if this is not going to work, I’m not going to buy! (although I said that about an amp generally only a few days ago!)

Any advice gladly received. I really do want an amp now.

Cheers

Colin

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is at the bottom of the cabinet , i highered the shelf and the DVD player sits on top, this gives the amp plenty of air which helps it not to overheat. All other equipment is in another cabinet.

I have had no interference at all, and no overheating problems, looking at the list of equipment you are trying to squeeze in to the cabinet i think you are asking for trouble.

It states in the manual that you should have a least 10cm of space between the top, back and sides of the unit and the wall and other components.

I wouldn't want to put anything else in my cabinet.

I would buy another cabinet........hope you sort it out.

Attached Files:

3. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Hi

You dont want to be stacking equipment on top of each other, you´ll be asking for problems, as bob007 has suggested you´d be better off buying another cabinet and having space between it all.

Amps/Receivers need space around them for ventilation as they can run quite hot.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have mine under the TV, but about 5 cms free space above. No interferences at all...

5. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps but i'm still not sure.

The Tosh TV cabinet is open around the majority of the sides and back - more like a series of shelves. As the TV is a 36 inchcer, there is plenty of width and depth for ventilation.

If I can remove the bottom shelf, I can get about a 5cm gap between the top of the amp and rest of the components - although the amp would be sitting on the carpet!

What do you reckon guys, am I buying an amp or not? New cabinet is definately out of the question - this is a living room not a cinema after all.

Now if I can only find those cabinet assembly instructions...........

Colin.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the replies here have given you good advice, it's up to you whether you follow this advice.

With a 36" TV, SAT, DVD, VCR and intentions of buying an amp i would call it Home Cinema, what would you call it?

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you put the amp on the carpet, better get some cones to keep the heat away from the carpet... and to keep it steady...

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i have a 36" tosh with a sd9000e dvd player and a denon avc a1se under it. take out i glass shelf, put the amp on the bottom and dvd on the 1 remaining shelf and voila! serve with a nice dvd and your cooking:D
    if i cna get the 1se under it a 2802 shouldn't really be a problem. i have relocated the rest of my equipment to a rack in the corner of the room!

9. £note

£note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The amp is a big lump and I have a similar setup.
    Still experimenting and so far I have taken the bottom glass shelf out and stacked DVD, VCR, Digibox on top of each other, small wattages little heat and no blocked ventilation holes.
    Centre speak sits on the top glass shelf.

Now what to do with the amp ?
    Currently it is sitting on the packing box it came in next to the TV and the amp does generate a lot of heat, so must adhere to recommended ventilation distances.

Looks like I will have to get a small table to accomodate the amp and at the same time give consideration to all the connecting leads and their length.

10. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    when i first got my 1se i fried it by stacking the dvd player on it, i wasn't happy. now it has around 5cm above and at least 10cm to the sides. still can't find a nice av rack that can take all my kit and look nice though (and doesn't cost as much as a small country!):eek:

11. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I know what you mean about finding a sensibly prived AV rack to take all me stuff. Even if possible, not sure how the Tosh TV would look on a different stand - without those built in silver bits down the side that match the silver built-in centre speaker.

Hence i'm going to try to use existing stand. I couldn't remove the bottom shelf as it forms part of the rigid structure of the stand, so plan B. If i raise the whole stand a couple of inches, the dvd will sit under the bottom shelf on the carpet. The Amp can go on the bottom shelf. Will then take out 1 glass shelf and higher the second glass shelf to take the VCR whilst the small (thankfully), (Sony) SAT box can then sit on top of the VCR but slightly behind, under the top shelf, behind the metal bar that supports the TV (as don't often have to access the SAT box). This should give at least 10cm of free space above the Amp.

Speakers arriving tomorrow, but no Denon amps (2802 or 3802) to be found (at sensible prices) - all out of stock! What am i going to do with my week off work with no amp to mess with. Don't feel like watching any more movies until the amp and speakers are set up.

Cheers
    Colin.

12. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why not try the Alphason glass tables £250, you will be able to fit 5 seperates on the 2 shelves. The cabinets that some with tv's nowdays really are a waste of time if you want an amp. How desperate do you want an amp??.