Amp pairing for my Monitor Audio RX Speakers

neonplanet40

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A while ago I bought the RX speakers on here (RX Center, RX6 and RXFX).

I am looking to get an XXLS400 sub and upgrade my amp.

Currently I have been using a Yamaha RXV671 but I want to get one better suited and powered for my speakers.

Ideally I want to get one second hand but it also needs to be 3D compatible.

Can anyone give me some too look out for in the classifieds?

Thanks

Mark

The Yamaha 810 or 1010 would be worth a look. as would a Denon 2312/3312.

Hi Guys,

Currently I have been using a Yamaha RXV671 but I want to get one better suited and powered for my speakers.

Thanks

Mark

Without a budget the suggestions may be out of your price bracket. So, please state your budget for the AV receiver.

Well between £400 and £800 second hand.

Well between £400 and £800 second hand.

I suggest looking in the price region of £600+ for a new AV receiver. £600 can get you a Onkyo TX-NR709. With the new-one on the way, now is the best time to buy as it's heavily discounted. To put briefly the Onkyo TX-NR709 can sound muscular but it isn't at the expense of dynamics. In heavy scenes of gunfire, there's punch to explosions while the speed of delivery is fast. Instruments move around fluidly with fine separation. In subtle parts, it picks up on delicate notes with ease to portray high detail. Across the range, music is thrilling to listen to as well as communicating with refinement.

It pairs well with Monitor Audio since I use an Onkyo. The neutral Onkyo's complement the warm qualities of the RX6's plus the amp has plenty of drive for your speakers. Pioneer often sound too bright for MA's, but some like the clinical tone. In addition, the relaxed Yamaha's favour body over precision. The Yamaha RX-A1010 is well worth a look and fits in your budget as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply mate. I used to have an onkyo 605 so I do like the amps but not the heat they produce. I will look out though for one.

Thanks for the reply mate. I used to have an onkyo 605 so I do like the amps but not the heat they produce. I will look out though for one.

You're welcome. My Onkyo produces little heat even at high volumes.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion but I think I will get my next one second hand so I can get more for my money.

Hi guys now on the lookout for an amp second hand.

How does the Yamaha RX-V1067 fair?

Just trying to find things in the for sale area now. If I could get one for £500 or less would be great. Must be 3D capable.

Last edited:
You can still get the 810 and 1010 for around £500 which would be a better option than a 1067 for the same price as they are newer and a higher level.

Its finding one available on here that's the problem :p

Thanks for your help PSM1 but I am really trying to get one second hand on here so that I can save money at the minute.

Your help really is appreciated though. I am thinking if an 810 is 500 new then maybe I can get one here for 350 or so if you see what I mean?

Thanks again

Mark

Thanks for your help PSM1 but I am really trying to get one second hand on here so that I can save money at the minute.

Your help really is appreciated though. I am thinking if an 810 is 500 new then maybe I can get one here for 350 or so if you see what I mean?

Thanks again

Mark

I think it unlikely you'll find one secondhand. The amp was only launched last year and those who have one have very little reason to sell theirs so soon after buying it.

Thats what I am thinking as well dante01 but I am willing to wait a month just in case something pops up or another equally up to the task :p

You can see my set up in my signature, but before I bought the RX6s, I heard them through a McIntosh MX121 ($7000 USD), Pioneer Elite VSX-53 ($900 USD), and a brand I had never heard of that was $500 USD, but was the only unit with a front mounted hook-up so I could play my cell phone through it. To be honest... they were AMAZING despite the amp; I would be more concerned with the sources hooked up to the amp. Honestly, I would say that as long as the receiver meets your needs, then the Monitors will handle it accordingly. I am thinking of upgrading to the Pioneer Elite SC-61, but I am floundering a bit on that thought for now.

As far as heating, my Onkyo does get hot (mostly because the top vents have only about an inch or so of head space), but it performs brilliantly.

Thanks again

Mark

The current price of the 810/1010 is pretty much secondhand price anyway to be honest and you get the backup of a waranty as well. No one spending £800ish on the 810 less than a year ago is now going to sell it for £350 this year I feel.

The 1010 is a higher level amp so should offer the best sound quality/features.

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Mark

I would say the best will be any mid-shelf Yamaha
I have myself 1065 but planning to upgrade to 3010 cause now the price is right:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom