1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp or Speakers - Which to upgrade first?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mark Ward, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Not sure whether to post here or in Speakers area but here goes...

Denon AV-A10SE & POA-T10
    Kef Q55.1 (Bi-Amped) Fronts, Q95C, Q15.1 Rears
    Crappy Yamaha YST-SW120 sub (being replaced by REL Q201e)
    Arcam FMJ27 DVD is staying!

I've already got top quality cables/interconnects
    I've got to stick with 5.1 for now due to room logistics.

For best sound improvements which do think I should upgrade first? Speakers or Processor/Amps?

Any thoughts?

Mark.

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark sounds like a good setup already to me. What do you need to improve, apart from the sub?

AVC-A11SR is the next amp on from the AVC 10 you have. It has more features and surround modes but is similar. If you want more probably better waiting for the revised 1SE (AVC-A1SR?)
    Rog

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'n not sold on the high end Denons myself.

My thoughts are more towards a TAG or, if I can stretch that far LEX or Meridian Processor. I've not got a specific Power Amp in mind but it'll be something substantial.

Speakers will be from the new KEF range probably, though I'd also audition B&W equivs.

I've been looking out for some Ex-Dem/Second Hand TDM34DS to see whther they will make much of an improvement over my current Q15 surrounds.

The TDMs have been out for so long I just KNOW they'll replace them as soon as I cough up for some new ones.

Basically I'm after some opinions as to whether the Amp or Speakers will make the biggest impact change as I can't afford to do both right now.

Mark.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    I´d change the speakers myself as you´re more likely to notice an improvement. Kefs new speakers are worth looking at, especially the Reference range (pricey though starting a 2 grand for the standmounters).

You´ve got a good amp and dvd player so you may as well get some speakers that really show what they can do.

No doubt Kef will update their THX speakers as THX Ultra 2 is now about. They´re still amazing speakers (for movies) though.

cheers

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark...
    As you seem to have a quality setup already, i think a processor /
    power amp is your next outlay
    Great thing about quality processors is the advantage of upgradabilty!...
    I'll spend your money for you.....

Processor = Lexicon MC-12
    Power amp = Bryston 9BST THX + 2 channel module
    Speakers = M&K S-150PTHX
    Screen = local Cinema

If only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adzman

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be inclined to agree with Jase here. If you are looking for the most benifit, your speakers should be at the top of your list.

Eric

7. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

Getting a better amp will give you a tighter more controlled sound and a change in timbre which may be for the better or worse depending on your opionion of the Denon sound.

Getting better speakers will give you a more detailed sound and if you change manufacturer a different tonal balance to your current setup.

The weakest link in your system is the sub, I would go and audition a range of subs and find one that integrates well with your speakers.

The next step would be to buy a separate processor used in conjunction with the power amp section of your Denon. This will give you much better steering and separation.

The next step would be separate power amps to get a tighter more controlled sound.

Finally, address the speakers. Replace your centre with either the 100 or 200, then the L/R with something from the Reference range and you're done.

I personally wouldn't recommend the THX range, the tweeter is not up to the standard of the tweeter in the Reference range and the extra bass provided by the 'race track' driver will be provided by the sub anyway.

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The most change that is effected in any system is the front end (source, DVD for example) and rear end (speakers, including sub).
    Whether this 'change' actually becomes an upgrade is down to your choice of eqipment.

Eric

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the front and center speakers are the weakest link, then an amplifier for the front channels, then processor...

Of course after the sub, but that you already know...