• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amp or receiver or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackerelman

Standard Member
Hi

I'm confused to what a receiver actually is?
It's been a while since i looked at this sort of stuff so I don't really know what I need.

I have a Panasonic 42PX70 and a Panasonic BD35 and Sky HD+ but I want surround sound.

Ideally wireless rear speakers, I'm looking at the budget range rather than a high end system, it would be nice if it was a slim unit the size of a dvd player, I'd actually be happy with 2 front, a sub and a centre with the option to add in more speakers later on...

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

MM

davepuma

Distinguished Member
1) An AV Receiver is basically an AV amplifier with a tuner (radio)
2) As you have bluray, ideally you want an AV Receiver (amp) that decodes all audio formats (The BD35 doesn't)
3) Unfortunately there aren't really any slim AV Receivers that have HD audio decoding. Your best bet is either to forget HD audio and stick with Dolby Digital/DTS and go for something like the Cambridge Audio 540R V3 or 340R (no HDMI audio at all) or a package such as the Sony HT-SF1300
4) Forget Wireless, rear speakers need cables whether they come from the amp (speaker cables) or from mains power and they usually have to be wired together. The Sony HT-IS100 can be supplied with wireless rears, so check it out.
5) If you have exact size limitations, post back but tbh, if the likes of the Sony 820, Yamaha 463 (see AV63+ package for combined amp&speakers) or Pioneer range are too large, you will struggle.

mackerelman

Standard Member
Hey thanks for the input.

The reason I though about wireless is that there are power sockets behind my couch but it would be a pain to route the speaker cable from the TV area.

The HT-SF1300 looks like a nice option, I'll look into that one.

Thanks

MM

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If you have the budget, these are going cheap and wireless. When I say, "cheap", I mean they're a lot cheaper than RRP and tbh, they will probably go quick at that price.

mackerelman

Standard Member
wow, half price! Unfortunately thats wayyyy above what i had in mind! :)

I wonder should I have bought an all in one? :rolleyes:

ChrisAV

mackerelman

Standard Member
Hey thanks, you know what, that might just be the ticket!

edit:
Any ideas when it will be available from the supplier you listed? everywhere else its about £300, over £100 more than richersounds??

Last edited:

garyscottmagic

2.1 on a budget, with potential to add surrounds - have a look at ONKYO HTX22HD at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Hard to get hold of at the moment, but if you can wait it's worth looking at if a separate amp and speakers are stretching your budget.

Also, I wouln't bother with wireless, I used flat self adhesive speaker cable (IXOS XHS223) to run the cables neatly round the skirting boards.

Chris

This is the second post in this thread that points to not bothering with wireless rears. Is there a real difference in sound compared to wired then?
I would love to have wireless, but I would not want to compromise loss of quality due to lack of wires.

Many thanks

Best wishes
Garyscottmagic

This is the second post in this thread that points to not bothering with wireless rears. Is there a real difference in sound compared to wired then?
I would love to have wireless, but I would not want to compromise loss of quality due to lack of wires.

Many thanks

Best wishes
Garyscottmagic

If you dont want to compromise quality I would say avoid wireless. I bought a large rug to hide the rear speaker wires.

garyscottmagic

If you dont want to compromise quality I would say avoid wireless. I bought a large rug to hide the rear speaker wires.

Has anybody done a comparitive between wired and wireless rears?
Does it make that much difference?

Best wishes
Garyscottmagic

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Has anybody done a comparitive between wired and wireless rears?
Does it make that much difference?

Best wishes
Garyscottmagic

I would suggest this is better asked in the speakers forum.

As the OP's question has been answered I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom