1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp on or off when not in use

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pr1uk, Dec 24, 2003.

1. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after reading a response on another thread from cfczeek i was interested in his comments
    "(Assuming you don't switch the amp off either, which you wouldn't if its a decent amp)"

now i have a decent Amp and have always turned it off when i go out or overnight, so come on lads and lassies whats best On or Off..

2. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think this is an old wives tale that stems from the days when amps sounded better when warmed-up compared to when they are 'cold'. Modern electronic amps should work well straight-away, or at least settle down fairly quickly after they are switched on.

The other argument is that electonics are more likely to become defective if they are cooled down and warmed up, as opposed to if they are just left on. Again, a quality amp shouldn't break-down whatever you do.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    My Arcam's are on 24/7 and my 3802 is also on, but put into standby when not in use. They only get powered down when I'm away from home for a week or more.
    I also leave my PC on 24/7 as I believe that electronics are put under the most stress when being powered on and regardless of the quality of the unit, constent power cycles do shorten their life. My CD & DVD are only powered on when used, but I can hear the difference as the unit warms up over an hour or so.

Mark.

4. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats me i leave mine on standby when not in use and it sounds great. cheers

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one caviat! Don't leave your receiver in standby after listening to the radio!

We had a power cut one night and when the power was restored the receiver came back on and out of standby. Made me jump out of my skin at about 3:00am in the morning!

Dave