1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMP on a budget

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pcpaz, Jan 14, 2003.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to complete my HCPC setup, but funds are little tight so going to opt for a entry level amp and speakers. Pretty much settled on a pair of Eltax floor speakers but not sure about amp.

Looking for something that will pump good sound from my SB 5.1 Digital Live card, DD/DTS is a must and a AM/FM receiver would be a bonus. Have not got a 5.1 setup so this is not important.

Saw a Sony TAFE370BL for £106.99 on http://www.unbeatable.co.uk, is this any good for my needs?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I think you may be confused as to what it is you own and what you want to achieve, with what you buy.

That 370 amp is a straight analogue stereo amp which will play stereo music and film sources to 2 speakers only. It doesn't do DD/DTS and NO OTHER stereo amp will do it either. It also doesn't have a tuner. If you have no interest in DVD's and surround sound, this is your "bunny". It's a good little amp.

The other (better) option is to get a Home Cinema receiver like the Sony STR DE485 & 585 or Yamaha RXV 620 & 430. They do DD/DTS and will get you quickly on the road to digital sound reproduction. These have 5 speaker outs, but you can just use your two speakers to start and build up. They also have tuners built in. :)

3. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Nobber. This is the baby! I do need a receiver like the one you have stated above, but I afraid to ask what kind of price do these go for, my budget is around £150-£170. Can I get one for this much, or am I better looking for a second hand one.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Yes you can get an AV Reciever which will decode DD/DTS for around £150-170 of your budget.

Best place to look is your local Richer Sounds.

Victoria

5. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Is this really what I need (AV Receiver) as it will be connected to my HCPC for watching movies and listening to music.

6. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes that is really what you need provided your usuage statment was correct :) and welcome to the wonderful world of AV ... it can be a bit confusing and it's a veritable minefied if your new to it all.

7. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for helping me out. So I need an AV receiver.

I have a couple in mind:

Sony STRDE475 £159.95
    Sony STRDE375 £109.95
    Sony STRDE485S £159.99

All prices are fron Richer Sounds. I would like to know if these units are any good. DD/DTS is a must and Tuner would be nice. Let me know if there are any other good makes to go for for around the same price range.

8. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure that you CAN hook your PC sound card up to any Receiver that you end up buying. The typical connection to a HC system is via either digital optical or digital co-axial and that sound card has neither of them, unless you have the platinum version which has that front panel thing you stick in the front of your PC.

Those Creative sound cards tend to use propriety (I think that's the word) connections that favour Creative Speaker kit's rather than standard dedicated surround sound systems and receivers.

9. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    the SB live series has a coax digital out on the card i think, but you'll need a mono phono to rca adapter. (about £1.50 from maplins). i think so anyway, anyone like to correct me?

10. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Sunday Ironfoot.

I was thinking of getting a SB 5.1 Digital live, will this be okay. I have a Rad 8500 DV card so I believe the sound is fed from the sound card into the 8500DV breakout box and from here, twin RCA cables are connected to the av receiver. Will this work??:confused:

11. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pcpaz, that will work for stereo or Dolby Prologic sound but not for full Digital surround sound like DD and DTS, for that you will need to run a connection from either the optical or SPDIF (coax) output on your card to the av amp. I have an SB Live! Platinum which has both connections on the Live! drive but neither on the card it's self unfortunatly. However there is in theory another way. The SB Live! has 3.5mm minijack outputs for all 5.1 channels on the card it's self ... with 3.5mm-phono leads run from each of those to the 6 channel inputs on the av amp you can achieve full digital surround sound. So make sure the amp you get has 6 channel input.

12. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are better sound cards than the Creative one's. Try this for size, it has dedicated Digital Optical/coaxial connections:

http://europe.hercules.com/showpage.php?p=8&b=0&f=1

Or check here for their entire range of soundcards, they have three versions of their 7.1 sound card:

http://europe.hercules.com/index_products.php?t=2

Your best bet is to do some research to determine which are the best soundcards, try places like www.sharkyextreme.com or www.tomshardware.com to see what they recommend.

13. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This article might interest you, it seems the nVidia sound chip is the ONLY one that actually encodes Dolby Digital 5.1, even if it's a stereo channel or a 4 channel analogue surround from a PC game.
    Shame it's only available as an onboard motherboard sound chip, and not a separate sound card. The Audigy 2 Platinum has a optical/coaxial output but it only does DVD Movies and 2 channel stereo. You need to use the analogue outputs on the sound card to get, say, 4 channel surround sound from your favourite PC games.

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/audigy2_versus_nforce2/default.asp