Question Amp max volume in relation to the range

bones`

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just a quick one. I have little experience of the AV type receivers but I have been playing with a Yamaha WXA50 network amp. Trying to get any decent output from a set of the new bronze 100 speakers required the volume to be set somewhere between -10db to 0db, complete waste of time at anything over -20db. I do kind of understand how these things work but my rule of thumb was always max 12 o'clock on the volume pot to allow a little dynamic headroom but I'm not sure how that relates to the Yamaha class D type output. I guess my question is regarding the headroom on a digital amp running at those levels? How much have I got?
Thanks

The db volume scale is relative to reference as measured from your primary listening location. You'd not get a correct level unless you actually calibrate the receiver's output relative to where you ordinarilly sit while using the setup.

The reference used by most AV receiver manufacurers for home theatres is 75db. This would mean that eacj speaker measured a 75db SPL as measured from your seated listening position while the receiver was set to 0db master volume while outputting its pink noise test tone. THe 0db master volume setting would subsequently be referred to as reference post calibration.

The position of the dial or the scale associated with absolue vole scales means absolutely nothing and cannot be equated to any particulay level of audio.

You may find this of interest:

The WXA50 is a stereo network streaming amp, not sure I remember it having any calibration like an AVR when I had one. What is your source, it's not something like Bluetooth and the volume on the bluetooth source, say phone or tablet is set low, so like a double volume control etc? Was the WXA brand new, if not have you tried factory resetting it? Where are you seeing the db scale also?
I see there's an Airplay volume setting also, if your source is Airplay, it can be set to off / limited / full and default is limited. Further reading I also see there's input trims which may have been turned down, if it's never worked right since having it, maybe worth a factory reset as it looks like there's potentially a number of things that may contribute to this, presuming it's fully functioning ok.

Last edited:
Where are you seeing the db scale also?

Good question. The Yamaha WXA50 doesn't even includea front panel display so where are yiou getting the db volume settings from?

Neither would the amp be using a relative to reference master volume scale because as already suggested, it isn't a unit that has any ability to calibrate and or level the speakers you are using in conjunction with it.

It may be in the phone/tablet app or maybe the web interface...

The unit is brand new, the only thing I've changed is to disable any processing. There are input trim settings that I have not touched and I have tried both Spotify connect and optical inputs with the outcome very similar. I am taking the volume reading from the musicast app. I am going to return the unit and try something else, maybe an r-n602 but I believe that to have a similar method of attenuation and the same question may arise.
Thanks for the input.

I didn’t get on with mine particularly well, sound was a bit thin and I found it a bit flakey on the app / network. I swapped mine I think for a Bluesound Powernode, but there’a loads of things out there. The Bluesound I felt was better but still lacking, so I swapped that for a Marantz normal HiFi amp and that was much better. Bigger physically but much much better sound wise, I think you pay for wife friendly and loose sound quality..

The app shouldn't technically be using the relative db scale when using the WXA50. The scale is supposed to be a reflection of the volume scale used by the device the audio is being protrayed by and the WXA50 doesn't use a relative to reference scale.

I can only suggest that you use the input trim settings to adjust and increase the signal going into the amp.

How far away from the speakers are you? Maybe it would be helpful if you could measure the actual SPL you are getting?

I can only comment on my own Yamaha RXA1080's performance while using the MusicCast app and the audio is plenty loud enough without having to bump the master volume up to excessive levels. Maybe it is just the WXA50 that hasn't got the power to drive the speakers to higher levels?

I agree with your description as 'thin' , it feels underpowered but the specs say otherwise and as the speakers are new it's hard to know. My wife's first comment was it sounds tinny! I do like the functionality, the unit is hidden and I can do everything via the app, seems to work well here.
Actually debating on the 602 receiver or straight hifi, I'm old school so the latter may win out.

Have you tried playing with the DSP settings, I wouldn’t normally myself but I think this amp does everything digitally anyway on its pre..

Dante01, I understand I can adjust the input trim but not sure I should have to as the volume is similar over different inputs and would that not lead to an overdriven signal and distortion? I probably should try before it goes back

Agree if you like music get a HiFi amp, not many AVRs play music very well at all, too much processing usually makes it hard to remain cohesive, even my AVR in the office I pair with a HiFi amp for music.

I also cant get enough volume from my Samsung TV optical out port to my sound bar ,no head phone jacks no other out port precept ARK or HDMI ? the sound is good however the output is only letting my sound bar goth 50% of it total volume-- whats the real simple fix

I also cant get enough volume from my Samsung TV optical out port to my sound bar ,no head phone jacks no other out port precept ARK or HDMI ? the sound is good however the output is only letting my sound bar goth 50% of it total volume-- whats the real simple fix
You would be better off posting this question in your own thread in the appropriate Forum for soundbars as this is for AV Receivers.

I checked out the sound bar receiver forums and it appears that forum is for sound bar problems not the source the TV itself :blush:
Has your TV got a setting to change the optical audio output from a fixed volume to a variable volume?

To Rambles .:(🤢
No. my optical out is fixed , the only time I do get a higher volume is when there is a commercial on or another channel on the TV while watching a movie that's broadcast-ed or streamed louder. I have tried all the sound settings and the only thing that is for some reason when set to sound voice guide [on] directs this voice through the optical out port to my sound bar and is very loud and that is what I wish would stay there during a movie watching however it only works when-the TV's voice talking out the words for example volume up ,volume down, or mute. ?

To Rambles .:(🤢
No. my optical out is fixed , the only time I do get a higher volume is when there is a commercial on or another channel on the TV while watching a movie that's broadcast-ed or streamed louder. I have tried all the sound settings and the only thing that is for some reason when set to sound voice guide [on] directs this voice through the optical out port to my sound bar and is very loud and that is what I wish would stay there during a movie watching however it only works when-the TV's voice talking out the words for example volume up ,volume down, or mute. ?
This is a problem with Samsung TV and two members from the US have had and had sorted the problem within the last couple of weeks. If I can find it again I'll link from here for you.

I have done every thing even went to expert mode on TV , so now its in PCM and the TV is OK the speakers on the TV are OK but I dint want to use those too tinny sounding so my sound bar is my interest . now I just found out if I unchecked the PLUS + on my Fire Stick it will improve the volume its better maybe I gained approximate 20% more sound volume to my sound bar speaker however I think there is more to do if investigated enough Im thinking of trying to unchecked the Over-it HDMI maybe just maybe Ill get more sound volume - now this is a fire stick setting what do you think?:clap:

I've never have nor am likely to have a fire stick. My next investment with more than likely be an ATV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom