Amp Impedence

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Noangel72, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Noangel72

Noangel72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered a new Sony str-dh820 (I think this is rated 8ohms). This will go with 2 speakers rated 4ohms, 2 speakers rated 4-8ohms and a central speaker rated 4-8ohms, no sub for now! Will these work with my new av receiver? or am I risking blowing up something?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    I'd suggest that 4ohm would be pushing it. If you'd 6ohm speakers then there'd be no problem, but 4ohm may cause the amp to overheat. You cannot easily damage the amp though, but it may trigger the amp to go into its protection mode when playing audio at higher volumes?

The fact that your speakers are rated 4 to 8 ohm makes this a borderline case and you may get away with it? If they were rated simply as being 4ohm then I'd be more cautious about using them.

3. Noangel72

Noangel72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My speakers are rated 4-8omhs, back of my amp reads "impedance use 8-16omhs"; I thought as long as my speakers would match or surpass the amp's power channel output then I could use any brand/model.
    Info available on the net is way too technical, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to use safely my system and make proper use of it.........

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    The speakers rated at 4-8 ohms aren't that much of a problem. What that mean is they are generally 8 ohms, but at one specific frequency they drop down to ohms, probably due to cabinet loading.

However, the purely 4 ohms speaker could be more of a problem for a Sony amp. Sony is not real clear on the allowable speaker impedance; something that has always frustrated me.

Can you tell us specifically what speakers you have and where they fit into your system?

To some extent it depends on how demanding your playing habits are. If the purely 4 ohm speakers are in front, they are going to make some significant demands on the amp. However, if the 4 ohm speaker are the rear/side speakers, the demand is certainly lower.

Also, if you are inclined to play at demolition sound levels, you might run into a problem. However, at more reasonable levels you might get away with it.

In my view, you are OK with the 4-8 ohms speakers. How much of a problem the purely 4 ohms speakers are going to be depend on where they are in the system.

Steve/bluewizard

5. Noangel72

Noangel72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are the Tangent Evo E5 and yes, they were intended as the front speakers:
    System: 2 ways
    Frequency range (+/- 3dB): 55 - 20000 Hz
    Impedance: 4 Ω
    Sensitivity: 86 dB
    Max music power: 150 Watts
    Recommended amplifier: 10-150 Watts
    Terminal type: Single wiring
    Terminal finish: Gold plated
    Input: Speaker level
    Internal wiring: 99,99% OFC

6. Noangel72

Noangel72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've checked with Tangent and they confirmed that the Evo5 have 4-8 Ω Impedance as all their other speakers, so I should be fine with my set up.......thanks for the advice anyway!

PS: do you know of a good web resource where I can learn some of this stuff? I'm a complete novice!