1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amp help please !!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jason t, Oct 11, 2003.

1. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi i have a denon avr3803 and i have just bought my first sub!!
    well i have connected it all up selected subwoofer in my speaker setup menu set all speakers to small but i get nothing from my sub its as though its not receiving a signal (it wont even switch out of auto i have tried a couple of different leads to no avail :(

please help

jason

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Can you switch the sub on manually rather than leave it set to AUTO? Some subs AUTO ON facility don't work very well (especially at lower volume levels).

3. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    yeah i tried that and still no sound!!

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    I assume you have it plugged into the correct Pre-Out on the back of the amp? :)

If the sub has two inputs (left and right) try swapping them over or using both if you have a Y-Splitter.

5. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    yes i checked the pre out on the amp !! and have also tried swapping over left and right on the sub,i havent got a y splitter.
    i did notice that when the sub was set to on when swapping over the leads i got some response from it which makes me think there is something on the amp that needs to be switched on !!

jason

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Have you balanced the Channel Levels from the main setup menu? You'll also need to set the Delay time for the sub as well while you're in there.

When using the Test Tones you'll need to have the volume quite high to actually hear the sub. Ideally you would have a sound meter to balance them.

Are you using a music source or dvd to actually see if the sub is working or are you relying solely on the test tones??

In some modes the SW channel can be switched OFF, so make sure it is ON. You can do this by checking the individual channel levels for that mode either via the front panel or the OSD.

7. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi jase to be honest i had it on sky movies the volume wasnt very loud (the missus still in bed) well it definately wasnt switching from auto i put the test tones on manual turned the main volume right down and set the sub to roughly the same as the fronts without hearing it !!! just by the osd
    you mention about switching the sub on and off in different modes how do you do this ???as this could be the problem (hopefully)

thanks

jason

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Sounds to me like you have it set too low from the main setup menu. Ideally you need to leave it at 00db on the main volume display and then balance all the channels so that they are the same volume. You really need a sound level meter do this accurately and have to balance each channel so that it reads 75db on the sound meter.

Try setting the levels with the main volume higher to begin with as this will be easier.

You can adjust the channel levels for each mode on the Denon. Might be worth doublechecking the manual for the exact way to do it as my Denon is a different model to yours. I think on the 3803 you set the remote to AMP and then press the little PAUSE button. The level for each channel should then appear on the OSD and the front display of the amp. Each press of this button cycles through the channels (FL, C, FR etc). Keep going until you get to SW. To adjust them up or down use the PLAY and STOP buttons on the keypad just above the PAUSE button on the remote.

You can also adjust them via the Front Panel buttons. Press the CH VOL button (each press cycles thru) and then use the selector knob to adjust up or down.

9. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    thanks jase i will try that in a little while how do you switch the sub on and off for different modes??

jason

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Using the channel level adjustments. When you get to the SW channel, to turn it OFF you lower the level to -12db and then OFF. If it's already OFF just increase it back up to -12db and then set it to where you want. Each main channel can be adjusted from -12db to +12db.

11. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    cheers jase well good news its working think it was wehere the volume was so low i couldnt hear it!!!! (i know im a w****r)
    but it still dosent auto switch well im not too bothered about that !!
    do you think i should by a y cable and connect it by both left and right??

thanks

jason

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    A Y-splitter will help, but to be honest you are better off leaving it switched ON all the time.

13. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I leave mine on all the time, i must admit that some of the time i'm not really happy with the sound of it. I think I need 2 of them!

14. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    well now its working it certainly rumbles :clap: :clap:
    just waiting for my spl meter too arrive so it can be set bup properly

thanks for all the help

jason:smashin: