1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp help needed please - before my head explodes!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hallsy, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The other half agreed to buying me a receiver for xmas, initially I was looking at a Denon AVR-1804, but unfortunately the too good to be true deal of £150 on one fell through.

I was then pretty much set on an AVR-1705 at around £188 delivered, but have since read a few reviews that aren't keen on it's sound performance, and also I am worried that buying the bottom of the range receiever will leave me with upgraditis in the near future. But maybe not? Maybe I would be over teh moon with this amp, trouble is I can't demo it near me.

Would I be better looking at the Marantz SR4400, or is this no better than the 1705 as it is lightly older technology?

OR, is it worth spending the extra little bit and looking at say the AVR-1905 or Yam RX-V450, both avavilable around £223 delivered? I had a look at the RX-V450 at the weekend and was fairly impressed, and have read good reviews on this amp also, but some popel comment on Yam amps having a 'manufactured' sound, that is good with movies but not wirh music.

I will be using this setup for both music and movies, prob about 50/50.
    I will be running Aegis Centre, with EVO 3's and EVO 1's.

Any comments or help would be much appreciated.

2. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Marantz 4500 or Denon 1905 minimum...

Marantz if you care for music too, and better amps.

Or try a good price on a Marantz 5400 (I don´t adivise the 4400...)

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    If I were you, I'd look at the 2nd hand amps available in the classifieds section of the forum.

Should be able to find an ideal amp for that budget.

If it has to be new, then the Marantz SR5400 can be had for an absolute bargain if you hunt around, I believe Peter Tyson are selling them for less than £250, not 100% sure on that though.

Avoid the 1705, you will just want to upgrade it very quickly :).

The 1905 is a good buy, and so is the Yamaha, but the SR5400 is a steal :)

4. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers for the replies. Any ideas of amps that I would find 2nd hand for around £200? Whenever I have looked at amps on ebay they always seem to get carried away.
    I have since read an in-depth review on the 1705 which said it had a 'harsh' sound, not really what I want for music capability!!
    So, now I am looking at either AVR-1905, RX-V450, STR-DB795 or maybe Marantz SR4500, although I'm pretty sure the discount on this won't be enough for me to affor d it. Can't really stretch to the SR5400 either as most seem to be around the £250 mark, whereas I'm looking at say £230 tops delivered.

5. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Dont buy a cheap A/V Amp if you want good CD music. you need to spend over a £1000 for that.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    My Marantz SR7400 has an RRP of £700, and can now be had for a bargain £400 :eek: if you look hard enough, and it is fantastic with music. As good as most budget to mid range stereo amps I'd say.

7. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ah yeah, obviously 2 channel sound won't be as good as a budget 2 channel amp, but once I convert my gargae I'll have a dedicated 2 channel setup in there ;)
    Now I have another predicament, I have been offered a 1 year old Pioneer VSX-D912 for £200 delivered, which seems very good considering the original £500 retail. I have read good reviews also, apart from WHF but I'm sure these guys just rate denons good at the moment, just as last year they voted all yam's well!!
    Anyway, thing that gets me about it is that the only difference between 812 and 912 was that 812 had no MACC, other than that they were the same amps. So, if the 814 is a replacement for the 812 and now has MACC, does that mean that the 814 is a better amp than the 912, just at a more competitive price?