1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp has blown up..... again. Does it not like playing m

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tob3z, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My amp has blown up again.

You want to here the story.

Ok well I bought its a Denon 2105 amp I bought from Super Fi.

After 2 months it cut out when playing music and the red light flashed. Left it to cool down and turned it back on. Only to have its spark and smoke a bit.

Got a replacement after I had to pay £15 to send it to them.

Well its happened again. This time it went with a big bang, a whole load of smoke and some lovely flashing orange sparks.

Im not a happy bunny.

I don't want this model again.

Anyone got any advice.

Cheers
    Tob3z

2. DrMekon

DrMekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can I ask what speaker setup you have...

I only ask as a while ago, I sold my mate a great amp... and he wired lots of speakers into it, without really knowing what he was doing.. and eventually, the amp blew up...

I was quite amazed at what he was trying to do, as I explained you cant really just plug lots of speakers in to an amp without checking the specs out first, impedance.. etc... he just scratched his head!!!

I find it hard to believe that you have had 2 faulty units....

3. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think its that hard to believe.

Epos ELS 3 5.1 setup.

4. DrMekon

DrMekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry... did not mean to cause any offence.... its just one hell of a bit of bad luck...!!

I hope someone here can help....

5. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know Im sorry mate.

I rly rly am just sooooo p**sed off though. Second time in 2 months. Sigh

6. curious_george

curious_george
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have the ELS 3 5.1 running on a Denon 3805 and it's fine. If you look in the Epos website, you'll see that the front speakers, subwoofer and satellites are actually rated at 4 ohms. Only the centre speaker is rated at 8 ohms.

Epos

You'll might want to see what your manual says about running 4 ohm speakers on your 2105. My 3805 manual has a warning about running lower-than rated impedance speakers at high volumes. I believe Denon amps usually are rated to 6 ohms and higher (at least mine is). I run my amp at between -20 to 0 db volume and get pretty ear-shattering sound for both music and cinema already.

7. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh, didn't see that. I was thinking it was a fine setup to have as What Hi-Fi had it as a perfect partner. OK well Im going to be making a claim with SuperFi as I have been doing research and I want my money back.

Anyone got any ideas on a amp for about £300?

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Superfi sell Nad receivers you could get the nad t743 for around £350 dont worry about the 50 watts power rating they deliver alot more than the specs very good power supply wont have any trouble driving 4 ohm speakers.PS have owned a nad receiver and they also sound great with music. :)

9. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The EPOS system deserved far better amplification then the 2105 - if "what hifi" reccomeneded the pair, I strongly disagree with their judgement.

Your fronts & rear are 4ohm/87db speakers which need hi-current to be properly driven - bet you where constantly turning the volume up!

AvGuide have reviewed the Epos ELS 3 system (just like yours) and gave positive feedback about their performance - in the review they where powered by an NAD T753. The T743 is within your budget and should do fine thou' if you cannot strech to the 753.

10. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can say I have neaver had a look at the NAD systems.
    The T753... I only looked on superfi for there price but its £500. Thats a whole lot of cash... if someone can find it £100 cheaper I would go for it. But £500 is nearly as much as my speakers.
    The T743 looks good though.

Im a n00b at speaker systems but does this mean I don't need to be looking at amps that have a output of 90watts.
    Because the 743 has 50watt output. Its just when looking at specs it doesn't look as good as the 2105.

Thanks for your help. At least your not talking to me like superfi did to my dad. I don't have a very good phone voice and sound quite young so I got my dad to phone em. They said how this neaver happens. Allmost like it was my fault. But Im sure if a amp cuts out as a safety feature and then blows up when you turn it on can really be all down to me.

11. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    If you can get the 753 do it - you won't be sorry, the gap from the 743 is worthwhile IMO, and the fact that it costs nearly as much as your speakers is not that relevant really! Then again - i would like to believe that the 743 will drive them fine, just not as easily as the 753 - Try to get the 743 on demo!

As for amp specs: as anyone can tell you there's a lot of silly specs going around! A manufacturer claims 90w, but that would be with easy loads & not all channels driven. NAD (and some others) claim 50w, but with all channels driven with any load.

12. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't there a special impedance selector on the back of your receiver?? My yamaha 750 receiver has that: you can select either 8 or 4 ohm on the back... maybe the 2105 has something similar?? Cause i can't really believe you can blow your receiver up because of your speakers. Was the receiver getting really really hot (as in not even able to put your hand on it for one sec)? Cause if that didn't happen i think it's an internal trafo or something that's not working too good...i thought denon was really reliable??

13. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    When that's present it's a sign that the manufacturers skimped on the psu (not trying to dis' your amp!) - most amps with that "feature" just put a 4ohm load in series with your speakers (some try to detect the load and vary the resistance), hence avoiding more expensive power supplies. I would only use that selector if I already owned the amp & got my hands on some 4ohm speakers!!

14. Tob3z

Tob3z
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kool some good info here.

I really can't afford the 753 at the mo. So Im guessing I will get the 743.

It gets warm and thats why I thought it had cut out. But its got loads of space so it shouldnt of overheated. I was playing some music at norm volume. But I can put my hand on it and keep it on there.

15. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    well... it's an amp not a bbq! :)