Marcmun

Novice Member
Massive noob here so be gentle, anytime I Google something AV related this forum comes up so hopefully in the right place.

I've got what I think are decent speakers ..

B&W CC6 X1
B&W M1 X3
B&W DM601 X 2

Currently plugged in this amp

Sony DA1200es

Problems with current setup I'd like to fix.

I can't control the volume with my Samsung TV remote - currently connected by an optical cable.

The sound is good, "room filling" our large lounge but speech is bad, there are a LOT of settings on the amp which seem impenetrable to me ! I have used the mic to do the auto setup thing.

We use a Chromecast audio a lot to stream music but with this setup I have to manually switch between "TV" and "phono" which is where I've plugged the Chromecast into. I'd like it to just play whatever is giving it input.

When I leave it on phono I get a lot of interference.

Can these things be "fixed" ? If so if there was model a few years old I could find second hand that would be the ideal solution ...

Not sure if this is asking a lot or too basic 😂

DigitalDigger

Hi, someone may correct me but I'm not sure you should have a cc audio in the phono sockets. That's for turntables. May be why you get issues?
Usually, the receiver remote can learn (or be programmed with a code) your TV controls so you use that instead of tv remote.
Some tvs can control receivers via cec but you would have to check that both units support this.
My Sony TV can control my nvidia shield this way.

DigitalDigger

Would also add, if there isn't a speech eq mode listed, could always try increasing the level of the centre channel a little?
Set up mics don't always get it 100% correct

Marcmun

Novice Member
Thanks @DigitalDigger managed to find a speech setting so sounds better now! Still stuck on this auto switching I found this product called a"ducker" which sounds like it could do it but it's £100 ?

Also any suggestions for an entry level surround sound amp I could switch out the old one for ?

Thanks again !

DigitalDigger

Thanks @DigitalDigger managed to find a speech setting so sounds better now! Still stuck on this auto switching I found this product called a"ducker" which sounds like it could do it but it's £100 ?

Also any suggestions for an entry level surround sound amp I could switch out the old one for ?

Thanks again !
Just look on here for a used one that does what you need. I like Denon stuff myself but there's usually loads of good kit for sale on here. That £100 would be better spent towards a better amp in my opinion

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom