Amp for Tannoy CMS501 Speakers

ziggyzog

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to this, so please be gentle. I've searched previous posts and can't find an answer to my question.

I have a standard Sony AV amplifier which I have previously connected up normal speakers to. I've got the chance of buying some Tannoy ceiling speakers (Tannoy CMS 501 BM) at a very reasonable price but looking at the specifications now, I'm a bit worried they won't work with my amplifier.

Tannoy | Home

They have transformer taps which I understand can be used with PA amplifiers and rigging up multiple speakers. There is a switch/dial which can select options of voltage/wattage with also an OFF and low impedance operation.

I just wanted to check if the OFF or low impedance operation options would work OK with my current amp?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

http://tannoy.com/residential/#!products_1473

I'm not sure I have an answer on this but the CMS speakers look like a good match for my Precisions (on paper anyway) . I've been curious about the onboard amp too and presumed that if you set it to off it'd be fine.

I may be tempted to try a set if I can get them at the right price. Did you drawer any further conclusions?.

Yes, set it to 'Off' and the speaker works OK, however it sounds a bit 'tinny' compared to other speakers so not sure I'll be using them.

Is that "tinny" compared to other in ceiling speakers or compared to your normal speakers?.

I guess they will sound tinny in some instances and it may well depend on how they're housed in the ceiling. They're missing any cabinet so can only reproduce so much low frequency sound, I think the specs suggest they go down to about 70-80hz ish so not like a set of floorstanders I suppose. Then again I'm not sure how much range is required to fulfill atmos duties. The trick is trying to integrate into your setup nicely and gettin the sub to seamlessly handover.

It was compared initially against some floor standers and then some new bookshelf speakers.

It was for a home bar and have now decided to go with some decent bookshelf speakers, will save the ceiling speakers for the cinema Atmos now ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom