Amp for Revel Concerto2 M16?

Paulq

Standard Member
I have recently bought a pair of Revel Concerto 2 M16 and am looking for an integrated that will pair well with them. My setup is:

Rega Planar 3, so MM Phono stage essential.

Blusesound Node 2i > Chord Qutest >> (amp).

To date I have been running active speakers out of the Node/Chord but this doesn't allow me to use the TT. I'll therefore revert to a passive set up and want an amp that will have sufficient power and current to drive the Revels well. I am aware they are not a particularly difficult speaker to drive.

So far I have considered:

Rega Brio
Yamaha A-S801
Arcam SA20
Exposure 3010S2 (with phono stage)

Has anyone any experience with any of these or advice as to what may be the best option please?

I listen to different types of music from Rock to Prog to Vocals and Jazz/Classical.

Budget is £1000 max.

Thank you.

acgingersnaps

Hi. Rega Elex R. Pure analogue. You already have the nice digital kit, so it would be perfect.

Paulq

Standard Member
Thank you I hadn't considered that so will do some research. Synergy with the RP3 is appealing.

I also stumbled on the Roksan K3 which is another brand I'm unfamiliar with. Any thoughts on that?

acgingersnaps

Thank you I hadn't considered that so will do some research. Synergy with the RP3 is appealing.

I also stumbled on the Roksan K3 which is another brand I'm unfamiliar with. Any thoughts on that?
None, sorry. Never heard one.

gibbsy

Rega Elex-R for your budget. The Roksan sits between the Elex-R and the Rega Elicit-R price wise. Roksan, to me, is slightly more laid back the Elex and isn't as commanding as the Elicit. Depends on what you personally like and if possible you should audition both, or even more models.

Pros and cons for both amps. The Elex is a pure analogue amp. No headphone jack. Excellent phono performance. Lifetime warranty for parts.

Roksan K3, HT by-pass capable, headphone jack (3.5mm I believe).

With the price of the Roksan don't get it confused with the standalone power amp which is a cheaper.

Paul7777x

As ever I have to mention this Uber bargain.

A powerful, first rate amplifier, using Arcams class G power amps. The preamp section is also delightfully clean and transparent.

A pretty good dac too.

And if that’s not enough it also has Dirac Live. And two sub outs as well.

I can’t think of a better sounding, more lavishly equipped amplifier, until you get to the Lyngdorf 1120 at two grand.

A thorough review here, and that was at £2500. For the RS asking price it’s a bit of a straightforward decision imo.

Room correction is the biggest difference money can make to your hifi. And Dirac is very good indeed.

Paulq

Standard Member
Thanks. Having looked at the numerous debates as to the merits of that it does look very useful. It's just going to be too big, physically, for what I need, unfortunately.

Am scouring the 'net for an Elex or Elicit but also still have my eye on the K3. Would still be interested to hear any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Interestingly the Roksan CaspIan M2 seems to go for a similar price as the K3, by all accounts this is a step up.

acgingersnaps

Thanks - looks decent but no Phono Stage I believe.
Can see why that would be an issue, but if you're ok with an external one, Rega, schiit and ifi all do super, sub £200 phono stages.

Paulq

Standard Member
Yeah I considered that but with space (and WAF) being an issue I'd prefer an amp with it built in to be honest.

I actually stumbled on a Luxman 505 last night. Bit of a budget buster but does look a nice amp.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom