Amp for QUAD speakers - need help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MaiaMan, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MaiaMan

MaiaMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Yamaha RXV630 / B&W 602, 601 AV setup, but now want to go up a notch musicwise. I'm seriously considering getting QUAD 11L or 21L (based on reviews, looks and price). One thing that has me worried is that most reviews mention that a bad system will make the Quads sound awfull. :confused: How is 'bad' defined? Is my Yamaha receiver 'bad'? I would apreciate some input here.

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I use old Naim and Linn 50 watt power amps to drive my Quad L-ites (very similar to the 11Ls). I've also heard them on a £250 Onkyo receiver, with good results.

Just about any speaker will benefit from better amps/CD players, it's a question of balance.

It might be worth getting a secondhand power amp - connect it to the L&R pre-outs of your receiver. You can get something that'll sound good with stereo music for less than £300.

3. MaiaMan

MaiaMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about a Cambridge Audio 640A with the QUADs?

4. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi MaiaMan.

I think you need to remember that what one person describes as awful can be perfectly acceptable to someone else. I'd be very suprised if the Quads sounded "awful" with your Yamaha, they certainly won't sound as good as they could but you have to look at them as a future investment. I've never seen or heard your receiver but it really depends what you're looking to achieve.

I have a Marantz SR7400 and I'm currently running some 12Ls, an L centre and the L sub with some crummy rears that are going to be replaced with some 11Ls or I'll bit the bullet and get some 22Ls.

I use this for everyday listening and I still really like the sound, however I know it can be a lot better. No doubt there are a lot of audiophiles who gasp that I can possibly find this setup bareable for music, but I believe you buy what you can afford, when you can afford it.

If you're really just looking to improve your music performance you've got a few options.

1) Buy a poweramp and run that out of the pre-outs on your Yamaha. I haven't checked you've got any pre-outs tho so make sure you check before you part with your money:D . This should improve your stereo performance but I think the limiting factor will be your Yamaha.

2) Buy a separate stereo amp. This is probably going to improve the sound most depending how much you spend, because you're getting something that is made specifically for stereo performance and doesn't need to worry about 5.1.

I've been looking at improving my stereo performance recently and I'm going to take the route of buying a really good poweramp first and then a good preamp/amp. A quad 909 is on my list for poweramps and I'll probably end up with a Linn Majik off eBay for about £250 in a few months time and then my stereo side of things should be sounding significantly better.

I think it's pretty difficult to buy a really awful sounding combination these days, but you have to do your research and talk to people in forums who own the kit you're considering.

My word that was a ramble and a half:hiya:

5. MaiaMan

MaiaMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks wombar:smashin:
    What i'm really looking for is stereo performance. I think I'm going to get a dedicated stereo amp for music and use the receiver for movies.

How do you rate your QUADs? Why did you choose the 12L over the 11L (speaker of the year)?

6. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If you've not listened to the Quads yet I'd really recommend you go out and give them a listen. They're not necessarily the brightest or bass heavy speaker you can find, but in my opinion they offer one of the truest listening experiences in this price range. I've found the quads(the L sub especially) aren't speakers that stand up and demand attention, they just do their job which is to reproduce the music accurately.

To be honest I don't know what else is on the same level as the Quads, but they sound great to my ears and that's through an AV amp, I can't wait until my 909 arrives and I get a dedicated stereo solution. Of course the real problem comes in deciding what finish you want, I've got piano black but all the finishes look superb.

I think I chose the 12Ls because I just wanted to know they had some extra power for movies and mixing my own music etc. Both the 12Ls and 11Ls are great speakers but I was also toying with the idea of getting some 22Ls for up front and moving the 12Ls to the rear, I was worried that the 11Ls wouldn't quite have the punch required.

Give me a shout if you've got any more questions.:hiya:

7. MaiaMan

MaiaMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard them play at FNAC, but it was vey busy at the time (lots of background noise). Will have to go back during a week day.
    I've been told these speakers aren't very suited to movies. What's your opinion?