Question Amp for Q550

Petay

Established Member
Reaction score
Slipoery slope as always....

Went out and auditioned speakers at the weekend and settled on Kef Q550s. Also decided I can't do without a sub so downsized my current MA bronze w10 to the smaller Rel T5i.

Now I did demo the speakers with my Cambridge CXA60 but now I have the speakers home I've discovered the amp lacks a bit a lower volumes - seems there is just not enough power at lower levels to drive the Kefs resulting in a lack of depth and authority.

So looks like I'll be splashing on a new amp. I've narrowed it to 4 options in my £1000 budget.

Cambridge Audio CXA81
Rega Elex-r
Musical Fidelity MS2i
Roksan Kandy K3 (I've found an open box in budget)

Getting to audition is going to be tricky so likely be a blind buy with an option to return so would love any thoughts on the above or alternatives, especially any Q550 owners.

I recently listened to the CXA61. I would assume it's similar to your 60. A good amp but bass grip on a several thousand MA ribbon floor stander was a little compromised. I liked it but it was not designed for speakers like that. - An Audiolab 6000a fared better with more Authority and clarity/delineation at those lower frequencies. It sounded a fraction leaner in the mids but had a wider stage and nice highs. Good facilities too. I dont know your Kefs but if they sound warm and you want clarity the Audiolab may just be the ticket. It sounds and looks more expensive than it is. Superb build/facilities. Neutral/vivid. Sound stage between and outside speakers.

There is one for sale in the classifieds.

Alternatively I'd direct you towards a Hegel H90. Obviously an improvement over the Audiolab and CA's. Hegel say 'it's the most powerful 60 watts you'll hear' and whilst I can't confirm this it really sounds great. Good facilities too. This is good enough for speakers more expensive than it's price. Neutral/warm and authoritative within power limit. Sound stage between and behind speakers.

Last edited:
I recently listened to the CXA61. I would assume it's similar to your 60. A good amp but bass grip on a several thousand MA ribbon floor stander was a little compromised. I liked it but it was not designed for speakers like that. - An Audiolab 6000a fared better with more Authority and clarity at those specific frequencies. Good facilities too. I dont know your Kefs but if they sound warm and you want clarity the Audiolab may just be the ticket. It sounds and looks more expensive than it is. Superb build/facilities. Neutral/vivid.

There is one for sale in the classifieds.

Alternatively I'd direct you towards a Hegel H90. Obviously an improvement over the Audiolab and CA's. Hegel say 'it's the most powerful 60 watts you'll hear' and whilst I can't confirm this it really sounds great. Good facilities too. This is good enough for speakers more expensive than it's price. Neutral/warm and authoritative within power limit.

Thanks for the response. The Kefs are quite neutral in their sound so something warmer sounding is likely to compliment.

Thanks for the response. The Kefs are quite neutral in their sound so something warmer sounding is likely to compliment.

I'd forget the CA and Rega. MF sound neutral so should be fine.

Suggest Hegel or you can get an Arcam A39 for less than 700 new. Alternatively a good tube amp with some watts such as Icon Audio.

There was a used H90 on the bay for 900 or so pounds.

I let others chime in.

Last edited:
The Rega would give you 72.5 watts into the KEF's 8 ohms and will give a good grip of the bass on them. I run KEF R300s with an Elicit-R and Rega do partner them extremely well, especially at low volume. It was the Rega's control and speed with bass that sold it to me. Certainly worth auditioning with the 550s. I didn't audition against any of the others you've mentioned.

I'm leaning towards the Roksan K3 - can get one for £1075

Heard one a few years back with some much more expensive speakers than I have now and it was nice - very forthright and impactful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom