Question Amp for Q Acoustic Concept 20

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Dutch Hand Trap, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Dutch Hand Trap

Dutch Hand Trap
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I was lucky enough to pick up some Concept 20s and their stands for a bargain price and am now in search of an amp to power them. I currently have and old Rotel 930ax which will not do them justice so I am looking to upgrade. I think I will go the second hand route and, being a HiFi novice, thought I would ask for some advice. So does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to spend around £300.

From what I understand the only knock on the speakers is that they lack a little excitement, my thought was that I would buy an amp that leans towards the exciting sound to try and make up for it. My sources will be a DAC and maybe a turntable. From my research my budget will get me a CXA60, PM7005 or Brio-R.
    I like the PM7005 due to the connectivity however I am concerned about the "Maranzt sound" which I believe will not offer the excitement I am trying to compensate for.
    The CXA seems perfect except it lacks a phono in, while not a deal breaker it keeps it from being a no brainer.

Any other suggestions? I was interested in Yamahas network enabled amps but I have read that they lack the excitement I am trying to add to my speakers.

Thanks

2. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    The bright/more clinical sounding UK amps from the late '90's early '00's may do the job - Cyrus 7, Naim Nait 3 or Audiolab 8000A or possibly 8200A (all just about in price if you wait for one to come up). The cyrus can be upgraded later with a PSX and the Audiolabs bi-amped with a 8000P IIRC.

I would suggest trying to find a second hand dealer with some of these in and take your speakers down and have an audition.

3. Dutch Hand Trap

Dutch Hand Trap
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much, I will look into your suggestions.

4. GOKCE

GOKCE
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at the new Brio as well. It’s fun and full sounding great amp.. I also just got the Hegel H90 and yes, it is better on all respects for critical listening with my turntable and good recordings but I still go back to Brio for casual listening through internet radio or Spotify.

5. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I use a Yamaha RN 602 with Q Acoustics Concept 20's on their dedicated stands and find the sound quite bright and enjoyable. I mainly listen to Spotify and Internet Radio but I do have a Yamaha CD player and a very old Rega 3 record deck attached to it. I am not impressed by the Yamaha CD player which is their base model and rarely use it. Using the Rega I have to turn the volume up but the sound is fine for something that must be 25 years old! I should be test driving the Yamaha Streamer NP-S303 coupled with a Yamaha AS1110 amp shortly, and if I find an improvement in sound no doubt the R-N602 will be sold on. The Yamaha'a have phono inputs, to be honest I cannot differentiate the sound using this or a small £89 Rega Phono Amp.

6. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Given the fact the A-S1100 is audiophile grade integrated amp, you should be looking to stick that streamer on sale ASAP ;)

7. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    I would not rule out the marantz. I have the 2020 running off a pm6006 and I honestly think the sound quality is great.

The concept 20s apparently do everything the 2020s do only do it all better, the marantz pm7005 should have a bit more bite.

8. Dutch Hand Trap

Dutch Hand Trap
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have spotted a mint condition 8005 for £300, if it was not for the 400 mile round trip I would of picked it up already, at the right price I would gamble on the Marantz.

If you do decide to sell your RN602 I may be interested, please let me know.