Amp for music and movies?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Alan65, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Alan65

Alan65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy an amp in the range 250 - 300 range and a pair of speakers in the range 300 - 400. I would like keep open the option of extending it to a 5.1 system for movies at a later date. I'm not prepared to spend as much money on this and would probably just go for a cheap set of surround sound speakers.

I don't know what to do about the amp though. I would only want it to handle the movie sound, I don't want another upscaler. I'm torn between the following

a) Buy a music amp and then pick up a 5.1 decoder add-on later. Can this be done for all music amps or just certain ones like the NADC352CT? Can anyone recommend a decoder?
    b) Get a cheap AV Receiver for movies like the Yamaha RXV361 and link it to the music amp somehow.
    c) Forget the music amp and get a single AV Receiver like the Sony STRDA1200 or Onkyo 605. How good would this be for stero music compared to a Rotel RA04 or NADC320BEE say?

I have no hi-fi separates at the moment, just a really old all-in-one mini system which I will move to another room. Music is the priority and the only thing I'm prepared to spend a lot of money on.