1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp for MS Genies

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hawk234, May 10, 2005.

1. hawk234

hawk234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a set of MS Genies and am now looking to purchase an AV amp to go with them. Keen to hear what others are driving these with and what they think. My use is 50/50 music/movies and previously had an Audiolab 8000s (which I loved) for music duties and an old (10yrs) Yamaha Prologic (which was v.average) for movies. I'm in Australia and few dealers carry a large enough range to do side by side comparisons so just trying to narrow the field down a little before listening to stuff.

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Hawk,

I hope I am wrong for your situation, but I have been very disappointed with sub/sat packages for stereo duties. I understand the need for users to select this type of combination (and they do movie soundtracks justice) but would recommend that you try and include a pair of stereo speakers into your setup.

Amp wise, I would prefer a Denon AVR-2105 for movies, and a Marantz SR-5500 for music, with the Pioneer and Yamaha models in between.

So, I think the Denon is a much better fit for the Genies, however the Marantz is probably more attractive to you.

Time for lunch. Speak to you soon

3. hawk234

hawk234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you're wrong as well Harry but the Mission FS fell on the baby (also called Harry) once too often. First time my wife has ever insisted that I buy new hifi gear - I knew there'd be a good side to having kids sooner or later :)

I know it's a compromise and I've been putting it off for ages but it had to be done - the Genies sound pretty good to me (in a crappy demo at least) and they look cute too (WAF). The amount of listening/movie watching I do these days is way less that it used to be so I'm not quite as fussy about the end result either.

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Understand totally. I have a 3 & 4 year old. Longshot, what about looking for something with a decent headphone output and a quality set of headphones, for those "time alone" moments.