• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Amp for Monitor Audio MR4

ddalcu

Novice Member
Hello all,

I want to buy a pair of MA MR4 speakers but I can't decide what amp to get for them... This is my first hi-fi acquisition and I'm pretty confused by the matching between speakers and amp. From what I've read, the amp has to have an output power of at least the power of the speakers (150W in this case). On the other hand, the recomanded amp power on MA MR4 official page is from 30W to 120W!!! What amp do you think I should choose for these speakers?

Thanks!

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Most amplifiers will be between 30w and 80w, and this is usually all most people need for normal listening anyway. The output of the speakers is almost irrelevant, as they'll generally be limited in output by the amplifier you choose.

I'd have a look at the Rotel RA10 and Marantz PM6005. If you want to push the boat out, the Arcam A19, Quad Vena, Rega Brio-R, and Rotel RA12 will be worth looking at.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom