Amp for Magnat Transpuls 1000

BoTheBarbarian

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently bought the Magnat Transpuls 1000 speakers and I'm trying to find an amplifier to fit them.

After a lot of reading it seems the Audiolab 6000a would be very nice, but I am unsure if its powerful enough for these speakers to reach full potential.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Additional info:

My room is 5x6 meters (16x19 feet) and I listen on low to moderate volume.

Main sound source is my PC with an external audio interface (Scarlet 2i2) which I connect to the amp in direct monitor mode.

More powerful alternatives I looked at were CA AXR 100 or more expensive CA CXA81- but not sure if I like the "analytical '' sound these amps are said to have (currently I have an old entry level Marantz which is quite warm).

Magnat Transpuls 1000 - speaker specs:

IMPEDANCE 4 – 8 ohms (nominal impedance is 4 ohms)

RECOMMENDED AMPLIFIER OUTPUT 30 – 300 watts

SENSITIVITY 92.5 dB

You could always get one of these with a pre:

Anything around 30+ Watts should be fine IMO, these are pretty sensitive speakers at 92.5dB/W/m and are badged a 4-8ohms (I assumed 4ohm is the minimum drop). I think the biggest issue will be find an amp that suits the particular sonic characteristics of these speakers and can keep a grip on the bass woofer. Audition a few amps and let your ears decide. Happy hunting.

Hi,
I have transpuls 1000 from September and Happy with these speakers.
My amp is a 20 years old "Atoll in80", very muscle amp, but i think that Magnat want more Power for top result.
Source Is Pioneer n50a streamer, but i would upgrade my Atoll.
More Power and mid tone more "open" should be best solution for these very good speakers (excellent about their price). Any ideas?

@Civic76
Still in the same boat as you - and it does seem Transpuls 1000 could enjoy a bit more power but didnt confirm this actually.

Some options I found meanwhile:

Cambridge audio AXR 100D ---
PRO: its cheap, kinda decent reviews, good power, good features
CON: its considered a entry level amp, so not sure how good the sound is

Magnat MR 780 ---
PRO: lots of power, great features (digital inputs , USB input, etc...),
CON: the problem is that you cant find many reviews of this product - so its hard to tell how good it actually is. Also its not easy to find a supplier for some reason.
(also it has 30 sec warmup time, and 5 sec to delay to change input)

Please let me know if you find any alternatives also! :)

The Magnat 780 should be a good amplifier, powerful but I don't think very refined. He is the little brother (shares many components) of the Advance Acoustic a10 Classic. From the idea I got, looking through the forum and youtube, the ideal amplifier would be Yamaha, tonally open in the mid-range (so it would give a boost to the Transpuls), the as1200 model specifically; the price, at least for me, is important. alternatives: - Roksan k3 - powerful and dianamic and, I believe, open tonally - Rotel 1572 mkii - Musical Fidelity ms3 / 5 or ........ there are some professional power amps / power amplifiers like Crown, Beringher, offered at attractive prices that have hundreds of watts, but I don't know how they are in pure quality. Let's see soon if I can borrow a Roksan k3 from the local dealer.

@Civic76
Seems you know your stuff ;)
... after some more reading I found some forum posts saying MR 780 could be withdrawn in the midtone .... and that could further push the already laid back midrange of transpuls. So im not sure now. There is also the Magnat MA 900 but that one doesnt have digital inputs and costs a bit more.

Yamaha as1200, Roksan and Rotel you mentioned are a bit out of my price range sadly...
Would a cheaper yamaha do the trick? ...

Musical fidelity m3si - In my price range, but no digital inputs so would have to get a adittional DAC, maybe not a problem. Will look into this amp. more.

P.s. any opinion on the Cambridge CXR100 or CXA81?

@Civic76
Seems you know your stuff ;)
... after some more reading I found some forum posts saying MR 780 could be withdrawn in the midtone .... and that could further push the already laid back midrange of transpuls. So im not sure now. There is also the Magnat MA 900 but that one doesnt have digital inputs and costs a bit more.

Yamaha as1200, Roksan and Rotel you mentioned are a bit out of my price range sadly...
Would a cheaper yamaha do the trick? ...

Musical fidelity m3si - In my price range, but no digital inputs so would have to get a adittional DAC, maybe not a problem. Will look into this amp. more.

P.s. any opinion on the Cambridge CXR100 or CXA81?
In my opinion cheap Yamaha amps aren't worth the money. You have to go to the a-s line.
Excuse me, my consideration on Magnat was valid for the MA900 (the one similar to Advance Acoustic); the Ma 780 I don't know. However, I can imagine that the tone is similar.
It seems to me that these speakers depend a lot on upstream recordings; if they are of a good standard, so are the ratings. For the cost of the Transpuls 1000, they remain a bargain.

CXA81 should be an alternative

If you're looking at stuff around the £1k mark, then the rega elex r should be on your audition list. Very well balanced sound. Lovely mids.

@acgingersnaps @Civic76

In the end Ive decided to give the Rega Elex-R a shot, ordering today.

From all I heard about the sound it seems I would prefer it over the Musical Fidelity by a little bit.
Even do the reviews on the Fidelity are stellar also, but rega is said to have a bit more warmth which I generally like. I couldnt find good info about the inbulit DAC for the Music fidelity and with Rega i decided to buy a a external Topping E50 DAC - for which I know is very good.

The last question now is the cabels, looking at an extra 150 euros for Chord C-line RCA and Chord Screen speaker cabels.

Just to confirm about the Yamaha as1200, I found confirmation on the forums that it does indeed have a slightly pushed midrange and the reviews are generally very good.

One more thing about the Magnat 780 which I considered a lot but in the end didnt want to risk it for a lack of reviews and information. But according to anecdotal information on a Polish forum if you DIY change the tubes inside it - you can make it top notch otherwise the treble range is "grainy". This is the reccomended replacement tube Mullard CV4024 / 12AT7 .

Last edited:
Oh yes, maybe a good amp, but what about 75 watt
Over 70's plenty with sensitive to medium speakers. On top of that it has a decent power supply and is built like a tank. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Lovely bit of kit.

The last question now is the cabels, looking at an extra 150 euros for Chord C-line RCA and Chord Screen speaker cabels.
Don't. That's far to much for interconnects. Something by Amazon Basics will sound just as good. If you want slightly better looks, CA are fine.

I personally use van damme. Well made and good value. They do a hifi version if you don't like the bright blue studio ones. That's what I have, just because they look better.

Over 70's plenty with sensitive to medium speakers. On top of that it has a decent power supply and is built like a tank. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Lovely bit of kit.
surely they are quality watts, I don't doubt it. however, reading other opinions on the web, the new Yamaha (as) series should be really interesting, the problem remains the price, high even for the base (as1200). The midrange seems to be excellent, as is the control at the bottom; on paper, features that perfectly match, in my view, the Transpuls 1000

surely they are quality watts, I don't doubt it. however, reading other opinions on the web, the new Yamaha (as) series should be really interesting, the problem remains the price, high even for the base (as1200). The midrange seems to be excellent, as is the control at the bottom; on paper, features that perfectly match, in my view, the Transpuls 1000
The Yamaha's look lovely and apparently sound great. I can't comment as I've never heard one.
Currently trialing a Lyngdorf. First impressions are very good.

Just a side note that near the price range of the Yamaha (as1200) you could also find the Rega Elicit-R 105w - 8ohm.

Rega Elicit-R for sale in the classifeides £900 :thumbsup: :)

If only i knew how 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom