1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp for KEF eggs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sapkan, Jul 28, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am planning a nice home cinema setup with a pj, KEF eggs or the upcoming MS genies, hdmi dvd player and a receiver to suit that setup. I was lookin at the 2805 and 3805 (remote is much nicer :) ) Denons or similar yamaha or pio. I was wondering if these amps are appropriate or are they too powerful for the small spekaers that I want? Can you please give me your advice and any recommendations with regrads to the amp.

2. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm currently also looking at amps, with the plan to eventually get the KEF 'eggs'. The amps I have shortlisted are: Denon 3805 (3 zones, nice remote, d-link), Arcam avr300 (just gorgeous, but no i-link :-(), Yamaha 2400rds and Pioneer AX5i. I'd be interested to find the answer to this question too.

3. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I currently have a pioneer ax5i and think it sounds excellent through the i-link to a 757ai DVD. But it depends on the DVD player you get that will determine whether you can take advantage of this. I also had the kef eggs running on this set up and they sounded very nice indeed but when funds became available i upgraded to a set of M&Ks. The bottom line is always the same though, listen before you buy!

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneers seem to work quite well with the kef eggs
    Vsxd814 is an excellent new amp at only £300 retail and any extra you spend will only improve the system.
    If you push up to the AX5 it would probably be worth pushing up to the kht5005 aswell.
    From my experience the arcam av amp is meant to work much better with full size speakers!

5. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd add the Marantz SR7400 or even the 5400 if you can't stretch that far if you're looking at driving the Kef Eggs. The Kef's are on my to buy list now that I've got my SR7400 and checked all the threads on which speakers match my receiver...

Seems to be a consensus on the Marantz being a good receiver for these, and its widely held to be the more musical of the AV Receivers over the Denons or others. I guess its the sound that you're looking for that should drive your decision as well as the primary use. I got the SR7400 and matched the DV6400 multi-player for the SACD and DVDA 'cause I like the music as well as the home cinema.

Either way the Kef eggs are great speakers. I'd recommend grabbing your favourite DVD or SACD and heading in to a store then testing the eggs with a range of receivers to check which ones deliver the sound your looking for.

Cheers

7. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dunno much bout the Marantz amps, never looked at them really. would be interesting to know how they compare to the big names like Pio, Denon, Yamaha. Opinions and shared experiences would be much appreciated

8. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it's any help i have the original Kef eggs partnered with a Denon 2802 receiver and Denon 2900 DVD player and am highly delighted with the sound from both movies and music. Must say though that movie and music sound took a small but noticeable leap forward when i upgraded the DVD player from my previous Sony DVP700.
    My brother has the new Kef eggs with a Marantz SR5400 and is more than happy with his setup, particularly after i went round last weekend with the sound meter and set the speakers more accurately. The music in DPL2 sounded excellent once balanced but personally i prefer to listen to my music in the 'direct' mode (i.e. stereo but bypassing all video circuitry).
    Bottom line is that the 2805 is a super match for the Kef speakers, but if i had the money (and because i'm daft) i would get the 3805 if that's really what you would prefer. Remember, a couple of hundred pounds extra now MAY prevent you from spending the next 2,3,4 or 5 years thinking "it's good but i wonder what it would have been like with the next model up". Get the best you can afford at the time but again, i would have no hesitation recommending a Denon receiver with the Kef eggs.
    They are simply excellent and i get a lot of compliments from friends when they come and watch a movie.
    Hope some of this helps!! :thumbsup:

9. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanx for the info pacha, after doin some research I have narrowed it down to the 3805 or the (equivalent yamaha think it was 2400)

10. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go for the 3805 then cos you will get the superb remote that will enable you to put all the other remotes in the drawer.Saves you shelling out another £200 on a top programmable touch screen remote. I bought a philips pronto and they are a life saver, time saver and spouse friendly!!
    I am considering upgrading my receiver in the next 6-8 months and must admit i like the 2400, (it has THX!!) but i think the Denon will give you a slightly better sound with music and it's important to consider this especially when you are teaming it with small speakers.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

11. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If its music you're after then I'd definately demo the Marantz. The 5400 is a great machine at about your price range and most would agree that they're the best for musicality. If you're after the home cinema then add the Denon to your list and maybe another such as the Harmon Kardon.

I'm currently driving some really crappy old speakers with my Marantz SR7400 AV Receiver, via my Marantz DV6400 player but even then the sound is amazing. The separation is faultless and the soundstage is enveloping and smooth.

Stores aim to please, just get them to demo the Marantz SR5400 as well as your Denon AVR-3805 and the Yammy RXV-2400. These are three great receivers, and you be the judge of which sits best with your ears and the Kef eggs.

Cheers