AMP for Dynaudio X32

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by chenbhan, Jul 12, 2015.

1. chenbhan

chenbhan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, guys

I just got my first Hi-Fi - Dynaudio X32. I know it is quite an old version but I really like x32. Now I am looking for a amp for it. I did some research for a while and found both Stello Ai500 and Musical Fidelity A5 should work for X32. The only thing is both of them are too expense. My budget is around $2000.

Finally I found Roksan Kandy K2. I am not sure if this would work for X32 as X32 requires 200W/CH but K2 only provides 190W/CH.

Can anyone give me some suggestions or provide other options?Thanks!

2. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    The 10 watts won't make any difference.

Do make sure you hear the combination before committing to it, as you're the one who has to live with it! The amplifier/speaker combination is the most important one in any system.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    The X32 are 4 ohm floorstanding speakers -

Excite X32

Dynaudio Excite X32 Loudspeaker (TAS 205) | The Absolute Sound

Being 4 ohm, it is going to require a high current amp, though that's not really a problem.

Type: Two-way, bass-reflex design
    Drivers: Two 5.7” MSP mid/bass, one 1” soft dome tweeter
    Frequency Response: 37Hz–23kHz (–3dB)
    Sensitivity: 87dB (2.83 V/1m)
    Impedance: 4 ohms
    Power handling: 200 watts
    Recommended amplifier power: Not stated
    Dimensions: 6.7" x 36.2" x 10.6"
    Weight: 38 lbs each
    Warranty (parts and labor): Five years
    Price: US$2800 (pair) maple, cherry, rosewood, black ash; US$3000 high gloss white or black

The speakers do NOT require 200 watts, that is merely their peak power rating. It is a limit, not an ideal. The 200w rating is to an IEC standard, which I will equate to Music Power, or power under actual dynamic music conditions.

So, for these speakers I would say any solid amp in the 50w/ch up to 200w/ch range.

As a guideline, the price of the amp should be about half the cost of the speakers. In the UK, the suggested retail was about $1765/pr. That means amps in approximately the £500 to £1000 range, though that is certainly not etched in stone. Great room for flexibility.

Next before you start throwing down money for an Amp, let's consider the features you need -

Tone Controls
    - There are two types of amp, Minimalist that basically have a Volume Control and Selector Switch. And more Standard amps with Tone Controls. Neither is right, it is simply a matter of which you prefer. Arcam and Musical Fidelity would be examples of Minimalist amps without tone controls.

Features - As above you can get a very plain amp that does one thing exceptionally well, but consider the feature you might need either build into the amp, or as part of your upgrade budget. For example, if the system doubles for TV/Movies, then you might want an Internal (or perhaps External) DAC (digital to analog converter). If you have a CD Transport rather than a CD Player, you might need digital inputs.

Streaming -
    Music is moving to Streaming whether the world likes it or not. Does the ability to Stream Audio from local Network Storage or from the Internet have any value for you. This can be build into a very few amps, or can be added externally.

Next it would be helpful to have a list of the other existing equipment you will be using in this system - Turntables, CD Player, BluRay Player, other..?

Next it would be helpful to know the size of the Room this system will be placed in?

Lastly, regardless of budget guidelines, how much do you want to spend on this upgrade. BUDGET frames everything.

I'm not sure the Musical Fidelity A5 is a current amp. I think the current models are the M6si and the M3si -

Musical Fidelity | M3si Integrated Amplifier

Musical Fidelity | M6si Integrated Amplifier

Musical Fidelity M3si Integrated Amp, 85w/ch, USB DAC, £1100/each -

Musical Fidelity M3si Integrated Amplifier available from Hifi Gear

Musical Fidelity M6si Integrated Amp, 220w/ch, USB DAC, £2500/each -

Musical Fidelity M6si Integrated Amplifier available from Hifi Gear

Is that consistent with what you are willing to spend on £1765/pr speakers?

The Roksan Kandy K2 BT Integreated amp (150w/ch) is £799 -

Roksan Kandy K2 BT Amplifier available at Hifi Gear

Arcam FMJ-A29, 80w/ch - £995 -

Arcam FMJ A29 Integrated Amplifier available from Hifi Gear

Arcam FMJ-A39, 120w/ch - £1595 -

Arcam A39 Integrated Amplifier Hifi Gear

Rotel RA-1570, 120w/ch, DAC - £1195 -

Rotel RA-1570 | RA1570 | integrated amplifier Hifi Gear

There is no denying the quality of Musical Fidelity amps, and if they have the minimal feature set that you want, and if you can afford the considerable price. They are fine amps.

But, as amps of all stripes rise above 100w/ch, the price rises very quickly.

Another Options, is the Parasound P5 Pre-amp and the Parasound Halo A23 125w/ch Power Amp.

The Parasound Halo P5 Pre-Amp is unique in that is has built in Electronic Bass Management, as well as a DAC with Optical, Coaxial, and USB inputs.

Available from Stone Audio -

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=parasound+p5+preamplifier

[​IMG]

Parasound Halo Products -

Products « Parasound

The Parasound Halo A23 is a 125w/ch Power Amp -

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=parasound+halo+a23

Just a few suggestions.

Steve/bluewizard

4. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    From experience, I'd caution against Arcam - I had an A85 driving (or trying to drive and failing) Dynaudio Excite X12 speakers.

I got an Audiolab 8200DQ/P combo and it was much better.

The Arcam sounded flat and lifeless in comparison.