Amp for centre speaker

jonjames

Ended up with a free amp, a Tibo PA150, I know they are not the best by any means but would it be worth using it in mono mode for my centre channel? I will be getting a 2 channel amp with h/t pass through for my L&R's soon so this way all 3 fronts would be powered with an amp.

My concern is in mono mode it's rated at 275w (not sure how accurate this is from a cheap brand), my centre is rated at 150w. I don't tend to listen above -20db, occasionally I might go a little louder depending on the film.

Worth/safe doing or not? 🤔

Last edited:

Jester1066

Absolutely safe to do. Whether it's worth it, well only trying it and letting your ears decide is the way.

The Centre channel is the most active in a HT system (think the amount of dialogue content etc). So on this basis adding a power amp - even the tibo - will certainly take the load off your AVR. Even more so if/when you also add the stereo integrated for the front speakers.

Give it a go and let us know!

jonjames

May give it try then, if not I will sell it. I ideally don't want 2 amps. Running out of plugs and cabinet space.

Jester1066

May give it try then, if not I will sell it. I ideally don't want 2 amps. Running out of plugs and cabinet space.
I know! This is an issue I faced. It was solved (rather expensively 🤣😉) with a custom cabinet and 2x 8 way rack style PDU gangs! 😂😂😂

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom