Amp for an HTPC

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by vbtrek, Jan 12, 2008.

1. vbtrek

vbtrek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a cheap 5.1 Amp with optical input for my HTPC, and in black. I currently have some cheap Sony 5.1 PC speakers attached to the machine and they don't sound very good.

I would also need a sub woofer, i'm hoping to use the satellites from the Sony setup initially.

Appologies if this is the wrong forum, i'm new here.

Thanks.

2. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It depends what you call cheap but you can pick up a second hand Arcam AVR100 for about £150 and the 200 for a bit more. I used the 100 for 5 years with a digital coax connection and really rate it. You can send the front pre-outs to a dedicated stereo amp if you want to in the future which is how I used it with an Arcam A85.
    A REL Q100E sub is working well in my room at the moment, a lot depends on your room, you can pick one up for £150 second hand, if you want new then try BK and SVS and have a look at the sub woofer forum.
    I'd replace the speakers first though, buy a stereo pair - the best you can afford and buy the sub and surrounds later as funds allow.

3. Croatoan

Croatoan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you have £200 to spare, consider the logitech z5450 system. Has 2 optical in, coax and pc connectors.

Have one in the front room and sounds great. Supports DTS and THX.

They also do a wired rear Z5500 which is also around the same price.

You get the whiole hog in one discreet package.