1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp etc for Squeezebox

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by peros, Jan 22, 2005.

1. peros

peros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great forum guys.

Now call me stupid if you need but I know about PCs but (apparantly) not about audio. I've set up wireless LAN & Squeezebox, EAC etc and am about to spend hard earned cash on the audio end. BUT the Qs are:

Do I need to get an amp with digital i/p or is the Squeezebox DAC likely to be perfectly OK?

If Yes, what am I looking for? Does the amp spec really need to say Digital specifically or is there something else to look out for. I've looked through quite a few and there seems to be a noticeable lack of Digital i/p's mentioned.

On the basis that I can buy just amp & speakers what do you think about £300 for both and if so any recommendations. Or maybe thats just a Q too far??

tia

Peros

No :boring: in my post.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,234
    As the squeezebox is basically a Digital to analogue convertor I would hope it was at least as good as the DAC in a £200/300 amp.
    We use analalogue outputs from an iPod into a TEAC Reference 250 running Mission 700 speakers and it sounds great at 196Kb/s MP3.
    You might get more advice in the HiFi seperates forum - there was a big fat thread on setting up a high quality PC music server.

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It depends on what sort of amp you are going for.

If it's only for stereo then how much do you want to spend on an amp. If it's for a home cinema setup the A/V amp will have digital and analogue connections so try both and see what you think is better.

A lot of these sort of music servers and portable devices seem to get better reviews when using the digital output and letting something else take care of deconbobulating the digital signal into an analogue sound.

If it's an A/V Amp don't worry, most stereo amps only actually have analogue inputs anyway :) If it's an all in one jobbie try to get one with both :)

You can always buy a new / second hand DAC to stick in between if you are not happy with the sound from it.

Steff

4. peros

peros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - I understand now. As I'm not interested in home cinema I'm going for the TEAC amp and probably M spkrs. As you say I can always get a 2nd hnd DAC later.

Cool advice