1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp - DVD Sound probs!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by r.vernon1, May 4, 2002.

1. r.vernon1

r.vernon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi,

If any one could any any insights I would be most grateful.

I have a Samsung 709 DVD player and a Sony HTK170S amp and surround sound set. At the minute, I have a composite cable going from the DVD player to the amp. Obviously this only gives me analogue sound (but it still sounds pretty amazing!). I was thinking getting a digital cable to from the one digital connector on the back of the dvd player to the amp. But my problem is the on the back of the dvd player, there is about 6 connectors for digital in, Front R and L, Back R and L, Centre and Sub!

Is there a cable I can get to connect these two up for a much improved digital sound or am I being dumb in thinking this ain't possible?? Any help would be much appreiciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob

2. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 6 connectors on the back of the DVD player you refer to sound like the anolog pre-outs which you could connect to the ins on your amp but there should also be a digital connection on your DVD player and I suggest you use this to connect to your amp.

3. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be useful, from http://www.709online.com/709faq.htm#faq3-4

3.4 - Connecting The 709 To Your Amplifier / AV Equipment
    The following methods, amongst others, of connection are possible:
    to be done sometime

"How do I connect my 709 to my Dolby Digital decoder/home cinema amplifier? My Dolby Digital capable amplifier says my Dolby Digital 5.1 encoded disc is Dolby Prologic?" (thanks to AMc for this info!)
    Connect the Digital Audio Out on the 709 to the amp\decoder Digital Audio Input. You can use a standard audio phono to phono lead but the best solution is a digital phono to phono lead (marked at 75Ohms).

The default settings for the 709 send the lowest common denominator digital signal to get the higher specification (DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1, etc) you need to change these settings:

In the 709 Set up menu go to "Audio Options"
    If your amp/decoder can process "Dolby Digital" turn the setting from "PCM" to "Bitstream"
    If your amp/decoder can process "MPEG2" turn the setting from "PCM" to "Bitstream"
    If your amp/decoder can decode DTS turn this "ON".
    If you amp/decoder can't process a type of signal then leave it set to either "PCM" or "OFF" and your 709 will send a digital stereo signal to your amplifier/decoder

Regards
    Eddie:cool:

4. r.vernon1

r.vernon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi,

I don;t know if this throws a different light on things, but I have a digital out from the dvd player, which looks like a co-axial connection, and then on the amp, for 5.1 in, there are the 6 different connectors. There are also outs for the sub woofer and the other 5 speakers, I already have those connected obviously.

Does it sound like the sony amp does not accept digital in, or do I need a special cable, with 6 co-axial connectors on one end (for the amp), and one co-axial connector on the other end (for the dvd player)?

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Rob

5. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking at sony.co.uk it looks like the HTK170 is a Pro-logic only solution. So no Dolby Digital (or dts) decoder. The 709 also has no Dolby Digital (or dts) decoder. It also has oncy co-axial (no optical) digital out.

Given this I would be surprised if the HTK has a digital in.

Can we have a complete list of sockets on the HTK? So far we have:

5.1 analog in: 6 phonos

Subwoofer out?

Speaker outs?

Other line ins?

Anything else labelled 'digital in'?

If I'm correct in guessing you don't have digital in then your best bet is to connect a pair of phono interconnects from the line out of the 709 to a line in socket on the HTK and let the HTK do Pro-Logic decoding. These are normally red/white coloured phonos.

I'm a little confused as you say you only have a composite connection (usually yellow phono) but this would be video only and not sound. Yet you say you have sound?

The magic one phone digital to six phono analogue cable which you mention can only be done using some (powered) electronics and is a Dolby Digital (and/or dts) decoder.

As it requires electronics it's never a cable and you don't usually find it on its own (i.e. as a processor) except at the high end (TAG, lexicon, Arcam, Rotel?). If you find a DVD player with this built in - so with six analogue outs (L, R, SL, SR, C, SW) - then it's referred to as a DVD player with DD decoder. If the decoder is part of the amplifier (yours appears to be Pro-Logic only so isn't), it's a DD amplifier. (Often they include some sort of radio - FM/AM. Then it's called a DD receiver.)

If you want DD sound (highly recommended) your best (quality, flexibility) upgrade is probably to a DD amplifier and speaker package (similar to your HTK but with DD decoding, with a coax digital in). Cheaper though would be a DVD player with DD decoding and a six phono to six phono lead or set of leads.

Charles.