1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp doesn't like football

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by br0ke, Jan 21, 2005.

1. br0ke

br0ke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for this tale of woe being my first post but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I recently bought my first Amp of Ebay (Yes...I know!!!), connected it all up and it appeared to be OK. It is a Sony STR-DB780. More than adequate for my needs.
    Anyway, first problem to come to light was when ever I turned it on, it would crackle for about 5 minutes. I put this down to it heating up, so left it turned on with the speakers off.
    Things went OK for a week or so. Last Saturday I sat down to watch Liverpool/ManU. 10 minutes into the game, it starts humming. This gets louder and louder, coming in and out. Turning the volumn down did nothing, I turned it off.

Later that day I turned it back on and everything was fine for about 6 hours. We had MTV on, then a DVD, then I switched over to MoTD. 5 minutes, it starts oscillating again. I unplugged every other appliance from the mains to no avail. I unpluged all phono connections until all that was left was speakers and power. No change. My wife thinks it is very clever.

Next morning, I got a redundant UPS and put it behind the unit to act as a mains filter. This appeared to do the trick. No crackling or humming all week until this morning. I had the tuner on and this time it went straight into a loud hum after 5 minutes. No choice but to turn it off.

Is the Amp faulty, or is there something else I could try before I write it off.

Sorry for the length of post, but any help greatly appreciated

2. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143