1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amp crossovers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ric_hall, Nov 23, 2003.

1. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While related to the Digitheatre LC thread also posted recently, I think this deserves a separate thread .

Basically I am wondering about the crossover levels of the low-end receivers/amps . I was potentially looking at a Yamaha RXV430 or similar, but am worried about the fixed 90Hz crossover to sub with relation to small speaker sets such as the Mordaunt Short Premiers . I know that I can use the high-level inputs from the sub to the associated speakers, but this seems a long way to go around for short route .

Anyone know the crossover settings of the low-end(up to £250 - must have 6-channel inputs) amps/receivers? To narrow it down, they must be able to drive the 4ohm load of the likes of the Shorts(Premier) effectively .

Also, if you have time, could you have a look at the Digitheatre LC post(it's in the speakers section) - I have to make a decision on that by early next week .

Thankyou for any help,

Richard Hall

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Might get more of a response in the amp forum so I will transfer it there in a while

3. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon 1603 : 80/100/120 Hz
    Denon 1604 : 80/100/120/150 Hz -> ideal, also has 6ch-in
    Pioneer VSX D512 : 100/150/200 Hz
    Marantz SR 4300 : 100 Hz (has 6ch in)
    Sony 780/790: 40 - 200 Hz adjustable in steps of 10Hz
    Yammis: 90 Hz
    Kenwood : 100 Hz

Don't know which one will drive the Mordaunt Shorts best, but your maximum volume is limited anyway by the speakers, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I am too lazy to look up all the models and check if they provide a 6ch-Input, I only know for sure about the Marantz and the Denon.

Regards,
    Gomez

4. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - now I just need people to check the Digitheatre LC thread in the speakers section

Anyone know anything about superfi as a retailer?

5. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With respect to returns, refunds and overall aftersales service that is .

6. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, assuming that the 6-channel input was the sole method used for sound input(no DSP effects or decoding such as DD or DTS), would there be any real difference between the sound reproduced by say a Denon amp over a Yamaha amp over a Marantz amp, etc.?