Amp connector for DVD?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by richie97, May 22, 2002.

1. richie97

richie97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Buying my first DVD player this weekend. It will be used mainly for live musical performances by myself and for films by the family (all non audio type females). As such I am happy to just keep 2 speakers in the room and use them for both my hi fi and a/v set ups.

My problem is that my TV (and therefore the DVD player) is about 10 metres away from my present hi fi. It would be a lot neater if I could connect my DVD to my audio amplifier, but due to the distance between them this seemed impractical. I have now been told that there is a connector of some kind that will allow me to do this without buying large runs of expensive interconnects. Anyone any ideas or can point me in the right direction.

My system ( for info) is
    Pioneer 646 DVD (to be collected this week)
    Mission Cyrus?PSX amp (old)
    Kef 104/2 reference speaker --need a lot of driving so may replace these!

Rich.

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What audio capability does the amp have?

If it is DD5.1 and/or DTS, you will need a digital co-ax (optical would be awkward for the distance.

If it is DPL but has 5.1 inputs (6xphono), you can use the dvd player to decode the DD5.1/DTS and send the audio signal down the 6 phono cables to the amp to distribute accordingly.

If it is older than that and doesn't have 5.1 inputs, then you need 2x phono from the dvd to the amp. Or you can just carry the tv output to the amp which you may or may not do already.

3. richie97

richie97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is purely a stereo amp at the moment--wasn't too worried about the surround sound etc. As indicated I will be happy with the stereo.... the Mrs. does not want another 5 speakers in the room..hence the problem. I'm basically looking for a way to get the best I can from my DVD whilst still using the hi fi set up at present. In saying that I have thought about changing my amps for some time now...this may be the way to go but it still leaves the logistical problem...about 10 metres between my amp and DVD player!!

Thanks for replying anyway.
    Rich

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Can't think of any "special connector" available to overcome your problem but I don't see why an ordinary phono cable wouldn't do the job just fine. Admittedly, as you say, over a long distance you would be better off with an "expensive" high quality interconnect, but I would have thought that whatever cable you use, the sound quality through your hifi would be far better than listening through the TV speakers. Is this what you meant??

Kelvin :D

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    Why? When optics are designed to be used over km....

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For signal quality no problem. However, optical cables are fragile and in the home, a longer distance cable has more chance of being broken.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    A friend of mine bought an FM transmitter from a canadian site that plugs on to the phono outs of the device and transmits up to 300m in open air, you then just Tune your Tuner in to frequency and hey presto whole house music for about £30 . Quality is supposed to be good for FM transmission, not strictly legal as it uses the FM band.